Opening rear hatch when battery is completely dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric2016LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't currently have this problem, but it just occurred to me. Can you open the rear hatch in the absence of battery power?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Unless there an access cover on the rear panel so you can access the latch, I don’t think so. You could however put a portable jump pack on the terminals and operate it that way

OP
OP
Eric2016LTZ

Eric2016LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unless there an access cover on the rear panel so you can access the latch, I don’t think so. You could however put a portable jump pack on the terminals and operate it that way

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid of that. I store "emergency supplies" in a locker in the rear. Ironically, a jump pack is one of those items. Guess I need to keep one in the forward cabin from now on.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you just turn the knob to manual and open it by hand? I always open mine manually.

Edit-you must mean unlocking it

OP
OP
Eric2016LTZ

Eric2016LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can't you just turn the knob to manual and open it by hand? I always open mine manually.

Edit-you must mean unlocking it

I guess I mean both unlock and open. However, I don't have a knob, just the button on the inside of the hatch handle, which I believe takes power to actuate.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only option I can think of is to take the inside panel off and attach some kind of emergency pull cable, drill a hole in the panel push the cable thru the hole and attach a pull ring to it, at least that way you could open it from the inside if necessary, similar to what they put inside car trunks now.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I mean both unlock and open. However, I don't have a knob, just the button on the inside of the hatch handle, which I believe takes power to actuate.

Okay, are you talking about the glass panel or the whole hatch? I have a switch on my overhead console that I can select between manual-3/4 open-full open for the whole hatch.

Yeah, unlocking would be a bee-yatch with a dead battery. I'd be curious to see at what voltage it quits working. The cable thing to unlatch it is about the only thing, that I can see. Short of keeping a little "battery jumper" battery up front, as said previously.

OP
OP
Eric2016LTZ

Eric2016LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, are you talking about the glass panel or the whole hatch? I have a switch on my overhead console that I can select between manual-3/4 open-full open for the whole hatch.

Yeah, unlocking would be a bee-yatch with a dead battery. I'd be curious to see at what voltage it quits working. The cable thing to unlatch it is about the only thing, that I can see. Short of keeping a little "battery jumper" battery up front, as said previously.

I was referring to the whole hatch. I like Doubeleive's idea of the DIY cable release. I know it may seem paranoid, but I hate being at the mercy of electronics to gain access to my gear.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the inside panel in the location of the latch, you will see a little bump in the plastic panel. care fully DRILL A 1/8 LOCATING HOLE in the bump, enlarge it to 5/8" and you will find the lever rod that unlocks it, get a 5/8 plug to close the hole. Use your ingenuity to make a pull attached to the link or leave it plugged.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the inside panel in the location of the latch, you will see a little bump in the plastic panel. care fully DRILL A 1/8 LOCATING HOLE in the bump, enlarge it to 5/8" and you will find the lever rod that unlocks it, get a 5/8 plug to close the hole. Use your ingenuity to make a pull attached to the link or leave it plugged.

Nice! I'll have to check that out.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manofaltes