Opened my sunroof and bad things happened

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I got a chance to take a closer look. I found a source for some of the spring clip things.

I also found that the rails the sunshade slides on are tweaked. The passenger side one moves back and forth freely. Driver's side seems like it's hooked or attached to something, I can't move it

There appears to be a plastic retainer on the passenger side that the rail clips into that's broken. I'll get pics up when my phone cooperates.

Also.. are there any diagrams or exploded views? Possibly something with part numbers?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I got a chance to take a closer look. I found a source for some of the spring clip things.

I also found that the rails the sunshade slides on are tweaked. The passenger side one moves back and forth freely. Driver's side seems like it's hooked or attached to something, I can't move it

There appears to be a plastic retainer on the passenger side that the rail clips into that's broken. I'll get pics up when my phone cooperates.

Also.. are there any diagrams or exploded views? Possibly something with part numbers?
Just be careful when sliding the roof open. I've seen broken pieces of the plastic rail puncture the headliner. Actually poked through. So again, be careful.

Archer04

Reaction score
Salvage yard is where I would start looking, maybe able to find a sunroof with shade and rails and all parts needed to include new glass, only thing you may have to find is the weather stripping/seal. To do it yourself will be a bit of a headache as you will have to pull down the whole headliner, and that is one solid piece from front to back. I would suggest a full removal too, as if you only partially remove it or free it from the top you may put too much of a bend and pressure on it which may ruin the headliner and that could give you an extra cost you dont need. If you cant find the parts at a salvage yard, google gm whole sale parts, or gm online parts. There is one out there that not only shows the parts but gives a schematic of where the part goes and what all parts are associated with it. I use it quite often, don't buy from there but it gives me reference for part numbers to look up else where to see if I can find it cheaper. Also check out partgeeks they have some good prices and a lot of the parts needed.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Sorry for the long delay. I waited until I got home to tear into it since I didn't have cover when I was at school.

Looks like the clips that hold in the retractable shade are busted. I found where I can get more of those though

Then there are some other plastic bits I can't track down and was hoping to get some help here

Driver's side - intact
EOwfJ95.jpg

Passenger side - dickered
efSf98Q.jpg

And another piece: Driver's side intact
enJzvmJ.jpg

0HgBBoW.jpg

That metal bracket (on the right side) came out of it's holder(middle)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay. I waited until I got home to tear into it since I didn't have cover when I was at school.

Looks like the clips that hold in the retractable shade are busted. I found where I can get more of those though

Then there are some other plastic bits I can't track down and was hoping to get some help here

Driver's side - intact
EOwfJ95.jpg

efSf98Q.jpg

And another piece: Driver's side intact
enJzvmJ.jpg

0HgBBoW.jpg

That metal bracket (on the right side) came out of it's holder(middle)

Well.... Your post made me laugh..."dickered" ....lol. Wish I had more than that for you, but it appears you are the Guinea pig on this one. Good thing, too, because I know you'll fix it and document it for everyone else. Good luck.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Silver about the "dickered" lol
As for the sunroof. I think your best bet is a u-pull it. I did come across ONE Yukon that had a sunroof at the yard closest to me. Usually odds of comin across our trucks around here at a u-pull it are slim to none.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The piece you showed looks like a piece of the rail that the shade slides on. What happens when you try to open it now? Does the shade still slide back? I'd guess it doesn't. You might have to drop the from of the headliner to try to repair it.

Chris
The piece that you had in your hand that Tonyrodz mentioned in his above post, was that glue or some kind of grease on it ? just wondering if it has been glued back earlier.
As for access, why not try to gain access from the part behind it that you have cables plugged in to ? that should be real close to where the shade slides. Good luck to ya.
David g...........:2cents:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any other ideas on where to look for parts? I haven't looked topside yet but I'm pretty sure that's what the parts in my sunroof look like now. I'm going to have to replace mine as well.

GrimmReaper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Google TG Automotive they have the plastic parts that look to be broken in those pics. I just ordered a set they run $110 plus shipping. Hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan