Oil pressure sending unit range ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure @kbuskill is right on this one. 5v reference. 5v return is 0 psi, 0v return is 80+psi. But you're right, might be worth checking with a meter.

Yeah no need to check... when my gauge was reading 0 psi I had a code P0523 which is oil pressure sending unit voltage HIGH.

I had thought about the resistor first but as was mentioned above it would just read even higher.

Still wondering if drilling or filling the hole would effect it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah no need to check... when my gauge was reading 0 psi I had a code P0523 which is oil pressure sending unit voltage HIGH.

I had thought about the resistor first but as was mentioned above it would just read even higher.

Still wondering if drilling or filling the hole would effect it.
What about a resistor on the 5v reference line? If I'm not mistaken, the sensor acts as a variable resistor to the 5 v line and decreases the voltage as the pressure increases so if the 5v line is decreased to say 4.5 volts then the output should also be decreased by .5 volts.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
What about a resistor on the 5v reference line? If I'm not mistaken, the sensor acts as a variable resistor to the 5 v line and decreases the voltage as the pressure increases so if the 5v line is decreased to say 4.5 volts then the output should also be decreased by .5 volts.

This is true, but what we need here is a higher return voltage. No matter where we put a resistor, it's going to be lower.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
What we could do is steal another source of power and resist that one to whatever we want and introduce it to the circuit....or a AA battery is 1.5v.....food for thought @kbuskill

Yeah I was thinking about that but there again, I would like to maintain actual functionality just incase something were to actually go wrong, that is why I keep going back to modifying the pressure switch and not the voltage.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about that but there again, I would like to maintain actual functionality just incase something were to actually go wrong, that is why I keep going back to modifying the pressure switch and not the voltage.

If you leave the sensor in the circuit, it will still do its thing. Just need to juice it a little to bring it into range.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
If you leave the sensor in the circuit, it will still do its thing. Just need to juice it a little to bring it into range.

Perhaps I should just actually reduce the pressure... what I mean is, I have been wanting to add the oil cooler lines and an external oil cooler and have even kicked around the idea of remote mounting the oil filter so I could run a larger filter. If I add that stuff into the system it will increase the volume of oil as well, which is a plus as well IMO and it should also lower the pressure somewhat. Or am I crazy?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Perhaps I should just actually reduce the pressure... what I mean is, I have been wanting to add the oil cooler lines and an external oil cooler and have even kicked around the idea of remote mounting the oil filter so I could run a larger filter. If I add that stuff into the system it will increase the volume of oil as well, which is a plus as well IMO and it should also lower the pressure somewhat. Or am I crazy?

Seems like it might...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't already have an oil cooler? My Denali does. It's small so I was thinking if you have one you could get a bigger one and the lines are already there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat