Oil pressure sending unit range ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
There is a oil sensor near the starter. I am not sure what it does. But maybe that's part or your problem. I am subbed also to find out what your out come is.

My Brother has a 2012 Silverado and he was trying to tell me the same thing but I don't believe my 2008 has a second sensor... at least I don't remember seeing one while changing the oil OR while I had the oil pan off... BUT I have been known to be wrong on occasion.

If you are referring to the one on the side of the oil pan near the starter then I know for sure mine does NOT have that one because I remember thinking that it was odd that it wasn't there after reading about it.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Here is the reaponse I received from Justin at BBP...

Hi Ken,

That is unfortunately not something that I can see or alter. I only have access to the low oil pressure parameters. It would be easy to disable that DTC though for you. As long as the gauge is working, you can likely rule out an issue with the sensor.

Justin

I just thought I would update this thread with the info in case anyone was wondering.

So at this point I am still undecided on what I am going to do. I may just go ahead and throw the sensor on it since I have already bought it and see what happens. With a little luck it will fix my issue.... but I am certainly NOT holding my breath.

Maybe I will have time this weekend...I will keep you all posted.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
So to update this thread...

My oil pressure gauge stopped working about a week ago, cranked up the truck and 0 oil pressure on the gauge. If I had not just changed the oil pump and O-ring on the pickup tube, I would have been freaking out but when I saw no oil pressure I immediately rolled down the window and listened for any ticking or tapping and there was none so I drove it for the week and waited until I had time to change it this weekend.

So I changed it today without removing the intake manifold, took about 30 mins with a socket, swivel, extension and ratchet. I cranked the truck up and still didn't have any oil pressure....

for about 15-20 seconds, then it jumped up to its normal 70 psi cold idle pressure.... lol

I cleared the 4 codes, which were for

1. Oil pressure range
2. Oil pressure switch voltage high
3. Lean bank 1
4. Lean bank 2

Not sure why the lean bank 1, 2 codes were set, maybe it had something to do with the oil pressure gauge not functioning?

Anyway so far so good... no CEL or codes yet... I guess only time will tell if I get the oil pressure performance range code again.

I guess I will see if the lean codes show back up before I start changing O2 sensors.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome, looks like you have it fixed. Update in awhile so we'll know for sure it was the sensor.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Awesome, looks like you have it fixed. Update in awhile so we'll know for sure it was the sensor.

So the CEL is back on again.... same p0521 oil pressure range performance code that I had before the gauge stopped working.

I clearly have more pressure than what the ECU considers normal and need to figure out how to trick the ECU into not "seeing" that much pressure.

Couple ideas I have come up with.

1. Drill the hole in the bottom of the sensor out bigger.
2. Make the hole on the bottom of the sensor smaller.

Not sure which if either would work. Smaller hole on a garden hose makes more pressure BUT in pneumatics a larger cylinder (think air cylinder with an extendable rod) requires less PSI to create the same amount of lift.

3. Get Blackbear to flash the ECU to ignore that sensor, which I don't like because it is my wife's truck and I am afraid if it did lose oil pressure she might not notice without a CEL.

In this instance the ECU gets a higher voltage reading the lower the oil pressure...
So 5 volts = 0 PSI
and 0 volts = 80+ PSI

My truck with the new pressure sending unit reads about 72 PSI when cold and reads about the same while accelerating after it is warmed up. When warmed up it idles with about 55-60 PSI.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the CEL is back on again.... same p0521 oil pressure range performance code that I had before the gauge stopped working.

My truck with the new pressure sending unit reads about 72 PSI when cold and reads about the same while accelerating after it is warmed up. When warmed up it idles with about 55-60 PSI.
I have no idea what normal is, but I generally take the middle point of the gauge to be what the manufacturer is expecting (40psi in our case). In my Yukon (with a replacement oil sending unit) the cold start pressure is just about 40psi, warm idle is a little below 30psi, under normal load it comes back up to 40psi, and then gains about 2psi for every 1000 rpm under acceleration. I don't think I've ever seen my oil pressure over 50psi. That's with a stock 6.0L, 165k miles, and 5W-30 synthetic oil.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could probably use a resistor on the wire that comes from the sensor, not sure what value you'd need but if you have a meter you could try some different ones until you get an acceptable voltage.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
You could probably use a resistor on the wire that comes from the sensor, not sure what value you'd need but if you have a meter you could try some different ones until you get an acceptable voltage.

I thought of this, too. I have done it on O2 sensors to trick out a CEL. The problem here I think is that a resistor is just going to tell the ECU that the pressure is even higher than it already is...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought of this, too. I have done it on O2 sensors to trick out a CEL. The problem here I think is that a resistor is just going to tell the ECU that the pressure is even higher than it already is...
Normally a sensor reads higher voltage as it goes up but you can check with a meter and have someone rev the engine while you read voltage. Voltage should go up as oil pressure increases.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Normally a sensor reads higher voltage as it goes up but you can check with a meter and have someone rev the engine while you read voltage. Voltage should go up as oil pressure increases.

I'm pretty sure @kbuskill is right on this one. 5v reference. 5v return is 0 psi, 0v return is 80+psi. But you're right, might be worth checking with a meter.