Oil pressure sending unit range ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So I recently (2-3months ago) replaced my oil pump with the high volume/high pressure pump from Mellings and it completely eliminated the lifter ticking that I was experiencing from time to time.

Before the new pump I would have 40psi at idle with a cold engine and around 20-25psi at idle with a hot engine.

Now with the new pump I have a little over 60psi cold idle and a little under 60psi hot idle and about 65psi while cruising.

The "problem" I have now is I keep getting a CEL and the code is

P0521 (Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance)

Now some background. When I first did the oil pump, along with a bunch of other work, I pulled the oil pressure sensor and removed the screen filter underneath it and reinstalled the sensor.
I never had any problems or CEL for oil pressure before and didn't have the P0521 pop up for a couple weeks after installing the new pump.
When it did pop up I checked it and cleared the code and took a 1000 mile trip each way plus the local driving around for the week we were out of town then got home and drove around locally for another couple weeks before the code reappeared.
I checked/cleared it again and it reappeared again within a day and I did the same thing again and it reappeared again within a day.

So my question is...

Does anyone know what PSI range the ECU is looking for as "normal pressure"???

I just hate to go to all the trouble of removing the intake to change the sensor only to find out there is nothing wrong with the sensor that is on the truck and the ECU is just setting the code because the oil pressure is "too high".

Also if it is "too high" I am thinking of reinstalling a new screen filter to try and keep the sensor from "seeing" so much pressure, although I doubt it will help much, I have read others posting that removing the screen showed an improvement in oil pressure on their gauge although I am not certain how clogged their screen may have been.

My oil pressure gauge works flawlessly which is another reason I am doubting that there is anything actually wrong with the current sensor.

Any and all help would be appreciated. If no one can give me a definitive answer on the range the ECU is looking for then the only thing I can think to do is call Black Bear and see if they know or can look into the ECU's programming for the answer and if it is out of range then my only option may be to get a tune and have them change the parameters on the oil pressure range to a higher setting.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Wish I could help. This is a really good question. Sub'd. Side note: I know you already knew this, but changing that sensor takes 10 mins. No intake removal necessary.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Wish I could help. This is a really good question. Sub'd. Side note: I know you already knew this, but changing that sensor takes 10 mins. No intake removal necessary.

I don't know about that... I pulled my intake when I did the other work just to replace the intake gaskets while I was doing everything else and I pulled the screen filter below the sending unit while it was off.

I have seen videos of people changing them with the intake in place and it doesn't look like much fun... lol

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I don't know about that... I pulled my intake when I did the other work just to replace the intake gaskets while I was doing everything else and I pulled the screen filter below the sending unit while it was off.

I have seen videos of people changing them with the intake in place and it doesn't look like much fun... lol

I've done it. Piece of cake.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
May try it IF it comes to that... I still hate the idea of changing it only to find I may still have the same issue.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a $30 part and I bet you wish you'd just replaced it when you had the manifold off but hindsight as they say. It is fairly easy to do without removing the manifold though, about as hard as spark plug #8 (the one on the passenger side rear). You pretty much have to do it by feel but it's not too hard. I wouldn't doubt it's the sensor since the range your gauge is showing is fairly normal; it could be that the sensor is having hiccups from time to time that your eyes might not see on the gauge because it either happens fast or you're not looking at the gauge when it happens. The ECU watches every second.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
There is a oil sensor near the starter. I am not sure what it does. But maybe that's part or your problem. I am subbed also to find out what your out come is.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
That's a $30 part and I bet you wish you'd just replaced it when you had the manifold off but hindsight as they say. It is fairly easy to do without removing the manifold though, about as hard as spark plug #8 (the one on the passenger side rear). You pretty much have to do it by feel but it's not too hard. I wouldn't doubt it's the sensor since the range your gauge is showing is fairly normal; it could be that the sensor is having hiccups from time to time that your eyes might not see on the gauge because it either happens fast or you're not looking at the gauge when it happens. The ECU watches every second.

Like you said, hind sight is 20/20....

BUT in my defense I never had any trouble with it prior to changing the oil pump... gauge has always worked perfectly and never had any CEL or anything else that would make me think that it needed to be changed out so I simply removed it to take out the filter screen below it and reinstalled it.

Also what makes me think it is not the sensor is it doesn't have a CEL for voltage high or low... it just says range performance.

I PM'd @JennaBear and asked if they could help me out with this question about the range that the ECU is looking for, so we will see if they can help out.

On a positive note, I have great oil pressure and ABSOLUTELY NO TICKING from my lifters like I would get from time to time before changing the oil pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9