Oil pressure gauge 0 to pegged and back to 0.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malibukid71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge is going crazy. It will sit at zero then spike up to the top then quickly drop back to zero. Is the gauge going out? Is a sensor going bad? Any ideas?

Here is a video of me driving down the interstate today.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge is going crazy. It will sit at zero then spike up to the top then quickly drop back to zero. Is the gauge going out? Is a sensor going bad? Any ideas?

I always put my money in that damn sensor with extreme ******* or swinging. A bad stepper is usually fluttering or at least sitting /stopping somewhere in the middle for a second here or there, maybe we even reading correctly on and off.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy Robert, it's probably the sensor as Nate mentioned. But this truck also has AFM and there is a little filter underneath the sensor that can get clogged. It's a pain to get to so you might want to just shotgun it and replace them both at the same time. Is that check engine light related? Sure would be nice to know the code.

OP
OP
M

malibukid71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy Robert, it's probably the sensor as Nate mentioned. But this truck also has AFM and there is a little filter underneath the sensor that can get clogged. It's a pain to get to so you might want to just shotgun it and replace them both at the same time. Is that check engine light related? Sure would be nice to know the code.

Yes, there are 3 codes causing the check engine light. 2 for oil pressure and one for a dirt throttle body. I should have cleaned it when I changed the TPS last month.

Debonair

Reaction score

Any update on this?

My Yukon started doin this exact behavior today while driving. Zero, pegged, zero, mostly pegged though. Even with key on engine off the pressure gauge stays pegged. Key off it goes to zero.

Key on engine off Scanner commanded gauge sweep takes it back down to zero with the other gauges but then it goes back to pegged.

Set P0521 and P0523 when it first happened. Cleared them and ran it, no more codes but the gauge is still mostly pegged.

Engine data shows 120psi +/- 2 for the Engin Oil Pressure. Edit: Way too high. Gonna tackle the sensor. :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu