Oil leak kicking my rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blh1960

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
getting a drip about every 10 seconds at idle. What I have done. Changed valve covers, oil pressure sender, timing cover, and crank seal. It is dripping off the starter. Can someone show me a pic of the bell housing inspection plate. I suspect the, oil pan and rear main. I have not done the intake manifold as well. Is the intake likely with lots of miles? Help please!

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting a drip about every 10 seconds at idle. What I have done. Changed valve covers, oil pressure sender, timing cover, and crank seal. It is dripping off the starter. Can someone show me a pic of the bell housing inspection plate. I suspect the, oil pan and rear main. I have not done the intake manifold as well. Is the intake likely with lots of miles? Help please!

If you got that much oil coming from your intake manifold then you've got bigger fish to fry my friend.

The inspection plate is the bigger of the two discs. You can pop it out a flat head. Hopefully you see no oil.

You can always spray everything down real good with some brake cleaner, start the truck then use an inspection mirror and flashlight to try and locate the origin of your leak.

IMG_2781.JPG

OP
OP
B

Blh1960

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I seen those plates but wanted to make sure. I know that I should clean it up and look for the source. Sometimes easier said then done. I just want to see the most likely oil leak issues with these vehicles. I am given the Yukon a rest today. The ball game is on.

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the starter and look above it at the crankshaft sensor, it could be leaking from there also.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the inspection plate; can it just as easily be put back in without being loose? I've read tons of posts saying it's not needed, but my OCD wouldn't allow that. Just curious if it pops right back in place.

@M1Gunner

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the inspection plate; can it just as easily be put back in without being loose? I've read tons of posts saying it's not needed, but my OCD wouldn't allow that. Just curious if it pops right back in place.

@M1Gunner

Yes, it'll pop back in. There are three prongs that hold it in place. If it's a little loose after you reinstall it then pop it back off and bend the prongs out a little to take up any slack once it's back in.

The way I see it is it was put there for a reason. If it wasn't needed then GM would have saved a bunch of $$$ by not having one. It keeps debri out. I surely don't want dirt and rocks getting in there flung around especially when my starter engages.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Watching to see if you find your leak, mine drips of the starter bolt also. No oil visible through inspection cover. Haven't pulled starter

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
How common is the rest main seal leaking where you see zero oil wetness after removing the inspection plate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98