Oil Fill Tube Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoemark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
People; I don't know why everyone says just turn and pull and be ready to break it.... that's incorrect. At least on my 2003 Tahoe, 5.3L:

IF you are Houdini with a dental tool you might be able to reach through the hole to the hidden tab (at the 6 oclock position), but from what I can tell (I'm just a hobbiest), the only way to properly remove the fill tube is to first remove the valve cover. Then you can depress the tab and turn the tube to the left (about 135 degrees) and it will pull straight out.

If you don't want to remove the valve cover (I didn't and regret), you can "try" turning to the left. If the tab lets go, the tube should turn about 135 degrees to the left then pull straight out.
When I tried that with my original oem, which was super tight, it would wiggle left and right but not turn and it came out all chewed up; ruined. And of course some little bits of plastic fell into the engine. (which in the end was least of my troubles; I had a deteriorated roller lifter and cam; ended up pulling the head and then finally putting in a nice ATK remanufactured.)

That's what I learned a year ago. Today I'm back in here because the Dorman 917-420 I put in there last year is leaking. Not too bad but it's seeping. I knew right away something was off as the fill tube didn't fit solid, rather it rocked around. I ordered a new Dorman the other day kind of forgetting what I'd used last year... Today I went to install it and DID find I could remove that year old Dorman by gently twisting and pulling by hand, came out without breaking the tab or dropping anything in so it's worth a try. But again, to me it's worth a try, but I would not use any tools or force to try and remove that tube. Just remove the valve cover. (and don't try to re-use the old valve cover gasket; it's not worth trying to save $10.)

Personally, I'm thinking of tracking down the OEM part number now that I've realized I had a Dorman in there already. I checked with Dorman and they said I have the right part; suggest trying to exchange. To me seems like should be a little larger in diameter.

Good luck all-

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old Thread but I thought I would give it a bump in case anyone else is planning to replace engine oil fill tube. While you’re in there don’t forget the valve cover gasket.

Valve/Rocker Arm Cover - 12637684 (Right/Passenger Side)

Valve Cover Gasket - 50504 R-1 (kit)

Valve Cover Grommet - 72233 (non-kit without the cover gaskets in case you forget to heat grommets prior to installation and tear one)

Oil Fill Cap - FC208 (1st design)

Oil Fill Cap - 12643759 (2nd design)

Oil Fill Cap Gasket - 24100002

Oil Fill Tube - 12570623

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu