Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cekkk

Reaction score
I'm about to crawl underneath my 2014 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 engine and change the oil. I'm getting old and don't like crawling under, crawling back out and crawling back under unnecessarily. Anything I should know or hints before I go down there and pull the plug and remove the filter?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preposition all your tools and drain pan and filter wrench and the new filter with some oil already poured into it. If you're old, you should know that already! But if you're old, you're brain might have forgotten these things, mine sure likes to forget!

Ohh and don't forget a couple of shop rags or roll of shop towels down there too! See what I mean?

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Reaction score
Preposition all your tools and drain pan and filter wrench and the new filter with some oil already poured into it. If you're old, you should know that already! But if you're old, you're brain might have forgotten these things, mine sure likes to forget!

Ohh and don't forget a couple of shop rags or roll of shop towels down there too! See what I mean?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I've changed oil and probably 30 or 50 cars over my lifetime and will do by habit all those things you've mentioned. What I'm looking for is something unusual that I might encounter underneath this vehicle. For instance, some Fords have a bar that runs underneath the oil filter. It's not really a problem but makes it a little more difficult to remove. So I'm looking for something that might make me crawl out and say why the h did I even attempt this

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got it. Not really. The short filters can be a pain to remove if they're on too tight, I'm going to switch to the longer ones next time. It's the transmission pan that's the pain if you want to do a traditional filter and partial replacement on the tranny.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Reaction score
Ok, got it. Not really. The short filters can be a pain to remove if they're on too tight, I'm going to switch to the longer ones next time. It's the transmission pan that's the pain if you want to do a traditional filter and partial replacement on the tranny.
Good info Thanks

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I'm getting old and don't like crawling under, crawling back out and crawling back under unnecessarily. Anything I should know or

Getting old suck's but it's so much easier to drop the car off at the Chevy dealer and go across the street for a beer while they do all the dirty work and its only like 35 bucks plus the cost of the beer!! I gave up changing oil 16 years ago.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Reaction score
That's tempting. But here an appointment is required to keep waiting time down to about an hour and a half, plus the 35 mile round trip, the $80 for a 5 qt. Synthetic change, plus whatever they'd charge for the 3 additional qts.

And I want my choice of oil and filter brands.

Finally, I like the feeling when the pain stops after I'm upright again!

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use AMSOIL Signature Series 100% Synthetic Oil and change my oil once a year or 15,000 miles. Have done this for over 25 yrs. I too am too old to spend time changing oil. Friend owns a quick lube and I bring my oil and filter and he changes it for $16. About $100/yr expense. Just did my 4th oil change at 45,000 miles and not due again till 60,000 miles or Oct 1, 2018.

Vehicle/Product Lookuo Guide

2015 Sierra Denali CC Standard Box 6.2L/8-sp

TerryKing

Reaction score
What about a "creeper"?? I used to jack the front up about 6 inches, and roll under with the creeper. MUCH easier than crawling... And a small pillow so my neck muscles didn't hate it so much.. This was before I built my barn at age 70 and put a pit in it (Open to the air, barn is on a slope).. Now I LIKE getting "Under" the trucks..

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting old suck's but it's so much easier to drop the car off at the Chevy dealer and go across the street for a beer while they do all the dirty work and its only like 35 bucks plus the cost of the beer!! I gave up changing oil 16 years ago.

I wouldnt mind this if I only used regular but no way synthetic cost that much. The oil itself cost about 35.