OEM Engine Block heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would be the effect of you left it plugged in all night. Is there a downside to it? I honestly thought that was how it was supposed to operate.

The down side is higher electric bill. Now in the Alaska temps for examp run it all night. Me I'm 20s at night at the moment and decided to run it on a timer to conserve electricity.

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was 20* this morning and the computer read 83* at start up, run timer was 3.22 minutes and the temp was 167* and blasting heat out of the vents and the cab was already warm.

I am telling you if you have your vents set to blast mode on fire setting, it does not take long at all to get the cab nice when the engine is already warm.

Toss the little man in the cab at the 4.55 mark after i got his sweater on him.

the computer was reading 184* and i backed the blower down to 1 and left on fire mode.

This is basically my morning routine now. let it run a few while i brush teeth, then toss any daycare crap in and my drink then get the little man. and i do all this in under 5 minutes and the cab is about perfect!

no significant sign of electric bill increase and i have been using it everyday for a month solid.

JonTiffany1

Reaction score
I drive ~9-10 miles in the morning from home to work, a majority of that mileage is on the highway, going 65-70mph, and my temp hardly ever reaches the 195 my thermo is rated for. Keep in mind, i let my truck warm up on cold mornings for almost 15-20 minutes. Would i benefit from having this heater? Or does it sound like i have something wrong with my truck? Thanks.

Jon

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive ~9-10 miles in the morning from home to work, a majority of that mileage is on the highway, going 65-70mph, and my temp hardly ever reaches the 195 my thermo is rated for. Keep in mind, i let my truck warm up on cold mornings for almost 15-20 minutes. Would i benefit from having this heater? Or does it sound like i have something wrong with my truck? Thanks.

Jon

I would suspect you would gain slight fuel mileage, faster warm up, less wear on engine at startup, and a more comfortable ride

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ all correct statements. having the coolant already warmed up makes for a fast and easy start up on the cold mornings for me. the warm up time is drastically reduced. and i have heat blowing almost instantly. My daily commute is a massive 5 miles to the office and this includes dropping kid at daycare. So without a heater and without any warm up my truck would not even register on the dash gauge and be about 90* once at the office. My total drive time is less than 10 minutes in the morning.

As for fuel mileage i have noticed a 1-2 gain for my winter numbers. still not at my summer numbers but this is in part to the few minutes each morning running in the drive heating up where as summer this is about a minute.

THE MAIN REASON I DID THIS WAS for the heat so that the cab air temp was warm for my son. And it has done exactly what i want with other added benefits.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Been using one in the Yukon for years and now time to add one to the Tahoe. Due to a likely intake manifold leak in the Yukon, it's a rough start when the temp dips below 28F. Well it's -6F today and with the block heater she fires right up and no hesitation.

The Tahoe fires up okay at -15F with a minor squawk sound but with the block heater i'm sure it'll be easier on her in these temps. Order placed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep