odometer dim, ambient light sensor maybe bad? any help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 suburban ltz, in the brightest daytime the odometer, PRNDL, and HVAC display is dim, but the dash back lighting is off.

If I take a flashlight and hold it against the sensor on the dash, the display will go bright as it should.

The lights in auto mode come on and go off in normal lighting as they should. The display stays dimmed 24/7 regardless if the lights are on automatic or turned off at the switch. The only effect to the display brightness is if I put the flashlight on the sensor and once removed, they go back to dim in about a minute.

The dimmer know is adjustable and will not adjust in daylight to full bright.

The DRL come on in daylight as intended and I pulled the 2 fuses to disable them from working and it had no effect on the display brightness.

Anyone experience anything light this? Im thinking for less than $30 Im going to buy a new light sensor for the dash and try that out, at least I'll know then if the one thing I can change makes a difference.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

OP
OP
MDC9966

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I added this to the wrong thread, could one of the mods move it?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Nothing that bad in mine but from the windshield tint it activates the headlights faster. I would try a new sensor and worst case remove the cover off it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh