Odd Electrical Gremlin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Furyous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yesterday my info center displayed "HOOD OPEN" when it wasn't. I pulled over and opened and shut the hood but it was still there. No problem, I thought. Probably a bad sensor on the latch or something.

This morning the battery was 4 volts. There is no under hood light, so what could cause the power draw? Battery is two months old.

OP
OP
F

Furyous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It has been pouring here in Miami. Looking into this further, it seems to be a pretty common problem after heavy rains. I was unaware there was an underhood light but it must have been on all night. Will have to look into it when I get home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Furyous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't see an underhood light anywhere? Why would the battery drain with the hood open? I had to take the latch out- the microswitch isn't clicking so it has obviously failed. Just confounded why it would cause the parasitic loss?

OP
OP
F

Furyous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Even with the switch unplugged I get "HOOD OPEN" and the battery dies. What!?!?!?

OP
OP
F

Furyous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought the closed circuit sent the hood open signal. If the switch is unplugged it should be fine? I have the new part coming today- hopefully it resolves the problem. Still don't know why the battery would drain because of it.

OP
OP
F

Furyous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok spent last night putting in the new latch assembly and charging up the battery. Sure enough even with the hood closed I got "HOOD OPEN". Something else is wrong. I needed to drive it this morning and sure enough battery was dead. Charged it and got some really weird stuff. After it started things seemed okay but dash lights didn't come on until I had been driving about a mile. Then the blinkers didn't work. At all. I'm calling it. I drive to work then disconnected the battery so I can take it later to a shop I trust. Hate doing that. This problem sounds expensive. Has anybody encountered anything like this? No replies to this post?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a bad ground related to the hood switch that's causing the battery to drain.

Here's one for ya: Right turn signal works fine, but flip on left and it blows fuse for both sides. I suspect a bad ground from water damage too.

OP
OP
F

Furyous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turns out it was water in the body control module. It's shorting out even after being dried and sucking 4 amps just sitting there. Has to be replaced to the tune of $900

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Think I'm in the same boat with my Montana. My Tech2 cannot talk to the BCM and the driver's door lock quit too (replaced switch).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2