OBD2.......What do you have ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for advise/suggestion on what you are using. Keeping in mind this is not an open wallet suggestion, something that can be used for monitoring as well as displaying CEL codes while not breaking the bank. Your help would be great.
David g.......:)

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got you covered! My favorite for these trucks is the Foseal wifi obd2 unit. Has to be the Improved Version though 【Improved Version】Car WIFI OBD2 Scanner Foseal OBDII Scan Tool Code Reader Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Tool for iOS & Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F8F6TB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_038QAb3X9FBPF.

I have the older and the newer. Older has connection issues and will boot you off after a while (pain in the ass if you’re running constantly to watch parameters).

Now, here’s where a lot of research comes in... some Apps for your phone, whether you’re Android or Apple, matters. I prefer using DashCommand, but some like Torque app.

Before I get into more details and throw more ideas your way, do you plan on using an Apple or Android based phone or tablet?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you got a droid phone or tablet t app is great. never used dash commander, last i heard it didnt scan for knock retard. thats a huge con for me.

they got them android head units now, ive seen guys run the t app through them too, live date at a push of a button and still listen to the radio.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep this cheapy cen tech 98568 in the console, it's pretty cool because it has a backlight screen to see it in the dark and it gives the code and it's definition so you don't have to go looking it up online, then I have craftsmen 39853 that has a battery backup it does abs and airbags and will do 300+ pid's and log 2 at once, it wont do any programming but it's pretty handy still for more troubleshooting. the centech is like $30 on ebay and the craftsmen can be found for around $75 or less so it's not a big investment for some handy tools.
those Bluetooth adapters will not do abs or airbags I don't think any of them do, atleast none that I could find even the pricier ones.

scanners.jpg

OP
OP
RED TAHOE LS

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got you covered! My favorite for these trucks is the Foseal wifi obd2 unit. Has to be the Improved Version though 【Improved Version】Car WIFI OBD2 Scanner Foseal OBDII Scan Tool Code Reader Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Tool for iOS & Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F8F6TB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_038QAb3X9FBPF.

I have the older and the newer. Older has connection issues and will boot you off after a while (pain in the ass if you’re running constantly to watch parameters).

Now, here’s where a lot of research comes in... some Apps for your phone, whether you’re Android or Apple, matters. I prefer using DashCommand, but some like Torque app.

Before I get into more details and throw more ideas your way, do you plan on using an Apple or Android based phone or tablet?

Nathan,
I have android phone, but I'm confused, what do I need the phone for if i have the reader plugged in ? Keep in mind I'm not the sharpest tack around, but get by for my age LOL.
David g.

OP
OP
RED TAHOE LS

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep this cheapy cen tech 98568 in the console, it's pretty cool because it has a backlight screen to see it in the dark and it gives the code and it's definition so you don't have to go looking it up online, then I have craftsmen 39853 that has a battery backup it does abs and airbags and will do 300+ pid's and log 2 at once, it wont do any programming but it's pretty handy still for more troubleshooting. the centech is like $30 on ebay and the craftsmen can be found for around $75 or less so it's not a big investment for some handy tools.
those Bluetooth adapters will not do abs or airbags I don't think any of them do, atleast none that I could find even the pricier ones.

View attachment 194793

Wes, is it complicated to use ? I just wanted to watch the parameters if not too much trouble.
David g.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got an OTC Genesis SPX off EBay. It needs a new battery, but it will do all I need and more. I chose this because used ones on Ebay can be found cheaply, and it will bleed the ABS pump.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan,
I have android phone, but I'm confused, what do I need the phone for if i have the reader plugged in ? Keep in mind I'm not the sharpest tack around, but get by for my age LOL.
David g.

heres a vid, you need a abd2 blue tooth reader paired up with your phone, you need to buy the app, a whole 5 bucks, the readers run any where from 7 to 25 bucks. ive been using a elm 321 for years now, and used a lot, no issues, but newer ones dont always seem to work, so most have gone with a bafx one. i might be misspelling that one lol

heres a how to set up t app vid. for 20 bucks or less you wont find a better live scanner code reader, clears codes too out there. it got more data than you'll even know what to do with, guarantied....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, is it complicated to use ? I just wanted to watch the parameters if not too much trouble.
David g.
no it's all pretty basic plus there is a electronic manual that you can put on your computer or a laptop
it can record whatever you choose to monitor and you can print it out later if needed

Eddie08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is a little pricier at $100 but I use bluedriver and my phone for enhanced codes etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne