OBD II port location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P0300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all. I just picked up a 2001 Former RCMP/Police Tahoe, and the OBD II port (supposed to be beside the parking brake) is nowhere to be found. Have any of you had this issue with a former police vehicle, and did you find the port at all?

Thanks

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I just picked up a 2001 Former RCMP/Police Tahoe, and the OBD II port (supposed to be beside the parking brake) is nowhere to be found. Have any of you had this issue with a former police vehicle, and did you find the port at all?

Thanks

Hello Jimmy,

It should be right above the parking brake pedal.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked under the dash, they might have relocated it to get it out of the way for some reason.

OP
OP
P

P0300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah, I opened it all up that day, and couldn't find it under there at all. I have seen some pics where the OBD port has a blue connector behind it, and there is a blue connector hanging off the harness tucked under the steering column.

I thought it may have been standard practice to relocate the OBD on a police vehicle or something. I am going to have to get ahold of some schematics and figure out how to re-wire the port, or find out if that blue connector would hook up to one.

When I am back in town I will post a pic of the under-dash. And when I figure it all out I will post progress in case someone else has this issue as well.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they pulled the OBDII connector to connect the harness to some data logging/speed logging system that's part of the police gear?

OP
OP
P

P0300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured they relocated it to hook it up to a logger or a remote anti-theft disabler or something. All I have to go on is two blue plastic connectors hanging off the harness under the steering shaft. I grabbed a few pics but it was dark and I didn't have a tool to unscrew the plastic panel off under the steering wheel. Ill get better photos on a sunny day with the dash ripped apart. I am just going through the Haynes manual wiring diagrams right now to figure out how to graft a new OBD port on the harness.

20170420_225236.jpg 20170420_225230.jpg

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they pulled the OBDII connector to connect the harness to some data logging/speed logging system that's part of the police gear?

Something like this......on my work truck they wired an anti-idle device (also controls other things) but anywho, they disconnected the factory port and installed the device in-line then plugged it back in, i bet when your truck was decommissioned and stripped the just pulled whatever out and neglecting to remove/replace factory obd plug and just left harness, minus the obd connector, hanging or tucked up under dash...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu