Not buffeting but wind noise from rear window/door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to explain. When driving on the highway I notice a sound like having the rear passenger side window open a crack. It is not even that loud or pronounced and definitely NOT buffeting. Almost like wind outside is noisy "over" in that area. Checked and the door and window seals appear solid and intact.

I can live with it if I have to but also hate that I notice it now. Anyone else notice anything similar?

Last edited:

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between buffeting and what you have? Lack of the pressure sensation so just noise?

wot_denali

Reaction score
I do have the same wind noise from back window you mostly hear it when turn your head to the right.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could it be the exterior black trim plates on door? Those are known to pull loose and may be creating noise as air hits a loose one?

wot_denali

Reaction score
Dealer replaced bith side trim but still wind noise i think i will pull them out and put some filler.

OP
OP
Burby

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The soundproofing on these is so vault-like that any outside noise that penetrates into the interior is annoying. I wonder if I can simulate by having someone blow compressed air over that door and window area and try to isolate it.

FJ40INTOW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Open hatch and push inside of window at the bottom. Will it move creating a gap allowing air to come in? My question is it supposed to do that?

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I'd be curious what you find. I'm having the same issue. It's coming from the right rear as far as I can tell from the drivers seat. It's either at the pass rear door or the rear pass cargo area I think. Sounds similar to the sound if yo had the air blowing full blast on AC and closing one of the vents and hearing that slight whistle noise. It's barely noticeable but if you turn off the radio you can def hear it... especially at highway speed 70+. Even more if it's already windy outside.

I stumbled across this. I have an XL but may take a look and see...
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=3342

If I can't find anything I'm going to take it to the dealer in a week or so.

Last edited:

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I'd be curious what you find. I'm having the same issue. It's coming from the right rear as far as I can tell from the drivers seat. It's either at the pass rear door or the rear pass cargo area I think. Sounds similar to the sound if yo had the air blowing full blast on AC and closing one of the vents and hearing that slight whistle noise. It's barely noticeable but if you turn off the radio you can def hear it... especially at highway speed 70+. Even more if it's already windy outside.

I stumbled across this. I have an XL but may take a look and see...
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=3342

If I can't find anything I'm going to take it to the dealer in a week or so.

Just to follow up on this. Looks like the dealer was able to fix mine based on the link I provided above.
The actual GM bulletin is: Document ID 4421703. #PIT5291B: Wind Whistle Noise At Highway Speeds From Left Or Right Rear Quarter Glass Area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk