Noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sutton jr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe with 6" BDS suspension lift. I also had AAM ring and pinion 4.10 gears installed along with a conversion U-joint for pinion and driveshaft with Detroit trutrac in the rear. They also installed 8.25 IFS reverse cut ring gear in front.

My vehicle rides smooth but when I took it on highway cruising at 60-65mph and completely let off the gas pedal I hear a grinding noise but as soon as I started to accelerate again noise completely stops. There are no noises at slow speeds.

I dropped off my Tahoe back at the shop in hopes of resolving the issue. The shop stated that they believe it's vibration from the driveshaft but because of the conversion yoke that they installed they could not have a custom driveshaft made. They also stated that they would check the pinion angle.

Does anyone have any suggestions or have ran into the same problem, any input would be greatly appreciated.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Sounds like gear mesh or bad driveline angle. Sounds like gears since didn't do it before. I just went through entire driveshafts on mine so I can help there too. Need to know what you did to shafts and angles

OP
OP
Sutton jr

Sutton jr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like gear mesh or bad driveline angle. Sounds like gears since didn't do it before. I just went through entire driveshafts on mine so I can help there too. Need to know what you did to shafts and angles

Hey sorry for the late response haven't been very active in the forum. I had the mechanic look at gear mesh and angles and couldn't find anything wrong. I did replace the front drive shaft with a custom Tom Woods front driveshaft and thought that would make the noises stop but that did not work either. Do you think it could be a bad wheel bearing or CV shaft? I'm losing hope, I want to be able to drive my truck on a daily basis without feeling like I'm going to mess something up.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Hey sorry for the late response haven't been very active in the forum. I had the mechanic look at gear mesh and angles and couldn't find anything wrong. I did replace the front drive shaft with a custom Tom Woods front driveshaft and thought that would make the noises stop but that did not work either. Do you think it could be a bad wheel bearing or CV shaft? I'm losing hope, I want to be able to drive my truck on a daily basis without feeling like I'm going to mess something up.

Really sounds like gear lash to me but I would have to drive it. If it's a light on the gas and left off coast and it's got a whine sound that's gears. Doubt it wheel or cv. Shaft u joint noise won't happen until it vibrates bad. Drive it up to 90-100 and see if it vibrates at all. If no vibration then definitely gears. My buddies Dodge made a similar noise when we had is front shaft out on solid axle. Only did it when left off gas and gears rolled against other side when coasting.

The front shaft will eliminate any 4wd or all wheel vibrations as the output angles are corrected. It's called a dual cardan joint. Make sure you grease it too! Mine takes a needle to fit the flush fittings.

OP
OP
Sutton jr

Sutton jr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really sounds like gear lash to me but I would have to drive it. If it's a light on the gas and left off coast and it's got a whine sound that's gears. Doubt it wheel or cv. Shaft u joint noise won't happen until it vibrates bad. Drive it up to 90-100 and see if it vibrates at all. If no vibration then definitely gears. My buddies Dodge made a similar noise when we had is front shaft out on solid axle. Only did it when left off gas and gears rolled against other side when coasting.

The front shaft will eliminate any 4wd or all wheel vibrations as the output angles are corrected. It's called a dual cardan joint. Make sure you grease it too! Mine takes a needle to fit the flush fittings.

Thanks for the info. It's def not a whine sound it's more like a vibration/grinding noise. Why would it only make the noise at 65-70mph when I let off gas pedal and not 50 or 60mph? I will try to drive it 90-100 and get back to you with results.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It's def not a whine sound it's more like a vibration/grinding noise. Why would it only make the noise at 65-70mph when I let off gas pedal and not 50 or 60mph? I will try to drive it 90-100 and get back to you with results.

That's strange but not impossible. I bet it does it somewhere again at another speed just need to find it. My driveshaft issue did it at certain RPM and speed per each gear. Weird but found the issue and fixed. If you got a go pro strap it to the frame so you get a view of the rear shaft and see what its doing to eliminate stuff.

OP
OP
Sutton jr

Sutton jr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's strange but not impossible. I bet it does it somewhere again at another speed just need to find it. My driveshaft issue did it at certain RPM and speed per each gear. Weird but found the issue and fixed. If you got a go pro strap it to the frame so you get a view of the rear shaft and see what its doing to eliminate stuff.

I've listened with the windows up and music off at all slow speeds (0-60mph) and no noises. It's def a unique noise and it's loud but not overly I can barely hear it when the windows are rolled down at highway speeds but when they are rolled up I can def hear it. Very hard to explain.

OP
OP
Sutton jr

Sutton jr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick update:

I took my Tahoe to a local transmission/gear shop to get a second opinion. I went with an employee for a test drive and he stated that he is 99.9% sure that the noises I'm hearing at highway speeds when letting off the gas pedal is the exhaust. I immediately went to a local exhaust shop and they agreed so I'm having them replace the muffler with a magnaflow muffler. I currently have a cat-back custom exhaust on there now with a flowmaster 10 series outlaw muffler with black stainless steel dual tips made by corsa. Keep you fingers crossed and hope I have found the issue. If that is the issue I'm going to have them build a custom true dual exhaust with black tips exiting behind rear wheels (both sides) and X-pipe.