No rear air at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekkitan

Reaction score
I have posted this on a few GM/Chevy boards in hopes of someone being able to help me diagnose this issue.

Ever since I bought my 2003 Tahoe LT 4x4 in summer 2008, the rear air (heat or a/c) won't work. No air will come out, the blower motor doesn't seem to turn on. The dealership said they would fix it if it wasn't the A/C (which it wasn't). The replaced the blower motor and resistor and then I think they wrote me off as a lost customer because they never called me back (waiting for a part for over a year), now they won't acknowledge they said they would fix it. So I want to try and fix it myself, if I can just figure out where the problem is... :emotions122:

So, the blower motor isn't coming on, resistor checked out. The controls in the back seat for the rear air/radio... when you press any button the display says "OFF" then turns off after a couple seconds. I tried setting the front controls to aux or controlling it from there, still nothing. I took the front control panel down and checked the connector, there wasn't any corrosion present from moisture or water leaking into it from the sunroof.

I guess I am hoping that something will jump out to someone and they'll say "oh hey I had that same problem, here is how I fixed it!". Hasn't happened yet though. I know I am not the first ever to have this problem, but if it is rare the owner probably just took it to the stealership ;)

buffdawg69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey i have an 02 tahoe. about 6 months after my rear air stop working, I searched and searched online for answers. I did not find anything. That was an year ago. SO i figured since i didn't find anything that it was probably an exp fix. Then for some reason i took my car to a quick lube and the guy asked if i wanted to him to look at the cabin filters and change them if they needed. well i looked like i knew what he was talking about. Later he came back in to let me know the changed the cabin filters and that "something" was stuck and the opened it back open. Didn't think really much of it, i could hear the air in back. Now its nov again and it just stopped working again. So i am going to take it back to the quick lube place. because i cant find anything besides this post. but once i take it there i'll pay more attention on what he is talking about

OP
OP
T

tekkitan

Reaction score
Hey i have an 02 tahoe. about 6 months after my rear air stop working, I searched and searched online for answers. I did not find anything. That was an year ago. SO i figured since i didn't find anything that it was probably an exp fix. Then for some reason i took my car to a quick lube and the guy asked if i wanted to him to look at the cabin filters and change them if they needed. well i looked like i knew what he was talking about. Later he came back in to let me know the changed the cabin filters and that "something" was stuck and the opened it back open. Didn't think really much of it, i could hear the air in back. Now its nov again and it just stopped working again. So i am going to take it back to the quick lube place. because i cant find anything besides this post. but once i take it there i'll pay more attention on what he is talking about

wow i need to subscribe to my own thread :X

does the rear air control console in the back seat just say "OFF" when you try to turn it on? i would imagine in your situation it doesnt, it just blocks off the air.

i am still living without rear air.

*SUBSCRIBED*

ghostworks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-- edited --

Read the post again, and realised youre talking about a completely different issue than what I replied too

Bchipo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have the exact same problem with my 03 Yukon denali ac. Rear control shows "OFF" when I try to turn it on. It was working until about 3 months ago. I kno this is an old post but was wandering if you ever got it working? I was able to get power to fan motor on mine today by bypassing resistor but controls still not working. Thanks, Brian

OP
OP
T

tekkitan

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have the exact same problem with my 03 Yukon denali ac. Rear control shows "OFF" when I try to turn it on. It was working until about 3 months ago. I kno this is an old post but was wandering if you ever got it working? I was able to get power to fan motor on mine today by bypassing resistor but controls still not working. Thanks, Brian

Nope. Still not working. Been replacing brake components lately :)

I wish I could get the rear air working. If I ever go to sell it, a week point would be no rear air.

garryadkins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SOLVED - No Rear Air - Only Shows "OFF"

Hi Everyone,

New to these parts and I saw this thread with no resolution. Here's how I resolved the no rear air problem in my 2006 GMC Yukon Denali.

I had the same symptoms:
No rear air blowing
Rear air controls just show "OFF" when you try to power them on.
Front overhead fan control does nothing

I'll answer them one at a time.
Rear air contol shows off:
This is actually working as designed. The rear air controls are only active when the front fan selector is set to "AUX". If you have it set to auto it mimics the front temperature. If you set it manually, then it simply runs at the speed you set. Having never used the rear air myself, that confused me. Set it to AUX and it will turn on and you can set fan and temperature.

No rear air blowing:
I purchased a resistor for my rear air but was disappointed when the $102 part did not fix the problem. One day while sitting in McD drive-thru, I pressed my leg down in the floor next to the driver floor panel. (my wallet is in my left rear pocket) Suddenly the fan started blowing! I removed my foot and it stopped again.

I took the floor panel apart (below the dash on the left, under the dash, to the left of the emergency brake) There is a large connector with a bunch (maybe 10? I didn't count) small wires and one LARGE ORANGE wire. The plastic around the orange wire was discolored dark brown like it had gotten hot. I opened the connector, (you squeeze one end and flip the blue handle up to separate the parts) I slightly bent the male connector down (toward the other connectors) to ensure a tight fit. I reconnected the connector and tested.

No more disconnection when wiggling it! The rear air works fine. If this turns out to be a temporary fix, I'll cut the orange wire and crimp on a more solid connector.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!

-Garry

OP
OP
T

tekkitan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to these parts and I saw this thread with no resolution. Here's how I resolved the no rear air problem in my 2006 GMC Yukon Denali.

I had the same symptoms:
No rear air blowing
Rear air controls just show "OFF" when you try to power them on.
Front overhead fan control does nothing

I'll answer them one at a time.
Rear air contol shows off:
This is actually working as designed. The rear air controls are only active when the front fan selector is set to "AUX". If you have it set to auto it mimics the front temperature. If you set it manually, then it simply runs at the speed you set. Having never used the rear air myself, that confused me. Set it to AUX and it will turn on and you can set fan and temperature.

No rear air blowing:
I purchased a resistor for my rear air but was disappointed when the $102 part did not fix the problem. One day while sitting in McD drive-thru, I pressed my leg down in the floor next to the driver floor panel. (my wallet is in my left rear pocket) Suddenly the fan started blowing! I removed my foot and it stopped again.

I took the floor panel apart (below the dash on the left, under the dash, to the left of the emergency brake) There is a large connector with a bunch (maybe 10? I didn't count) small wires and one LARGE ORANGE wire. The plastic around the orange wire was discolored dark brown like it had gotten hot. I opened the connector, (you squeeze one end and flip the blue handle up to separate the parts) I slightly bent the male connector down (toward the other connectors) to ensure a tight fit. I reconnected the connector and tested.

No more disconnection when wiggling it! The rear air works fine. If this turns out to be a temporary fix, I'll cut the orange wire and crimp on a more solid connector.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!

-Garry

Thanks for posting, Garry! Unfortunately with my issue, even when I set the front controls to AUX, the rear controls will still show "OFF". I will check those wires though and see if I can find anything. At this point I've almost given up on the issue as now I have no front heat (ew Cleveland winter with no heat, luckily it was VERY mild this year and I have heated seats). So I've gotta troubleshoot that first :D

Probably just a blockage in the heater core or bad heater core.

RogelioG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Garry
Had the same problem on 2006 Escalade. Blower was not working. Replaced resistor and still had same problem. Found your post and checked harness and blower started working after moving orange wire. Saved me from taking it to the a/c repair guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts