No power steering at idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josephernst2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New guy here! I just picked up a 2000 suburban for our family and there seems to be an issue with the power steering system. With the vehicle running at idle there is NO PS, if I raise the idle to 1500 rpms it's fine. When driving it feels totally normal. I tried unplugging the EVO sensor but nothing changed. I drained fluid out, turned the wheel from lock to lock and was able to top off the PS fluid a little. I'm just not sure if the gear box is bad or the PS pump. Aslo it does not have the hydro boost system. I have searched and cannot find the same issue. Just the half shaft replacement or the EVO sensor problem.
Is it possible that the EVO sensor is clogged and can be cleaned?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
J

josephernst2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's kind of what I'm thinking, but I hate just throwing parts at vehicles. I'm going to totally flush the system before I get a new pump just in case, it's pretty nasty in there.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The vanes in the pump are going bad. When you raise idle and then you have p/s that would mean a pump. The gear box reacts to the pump pressure. Pressure increased by higher rpm at the pump. Flush the system and get an AC Delco pump and bleed it correctly when go back together and refill. To bleed: Replace pump, refill with clean fluid, with engine off and front tires lifted off the ground turn the steering wheel slowly from all left to all right, top off fluid as needed, start the engine and repeat the turning process slowly, drop to ground and turn slow left and right and top off and then road test and top off as needed.

HBNH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any updates for those who are wondering? Thanks!

OP
OP
J

josephernst2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry but I haven't had the time to swap the PS pump yet. I will post results when I do, probably not for another week or so.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792