No oil pressure at start up, 2001 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rook

Reaction score
Ended up being the oil pickup grommet failed. About an $8 grommet did all this. Fixed it, I have some other posts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up being the oil pickup grommet failed. About an $8 grommet did all this. Fixed it, I have some other posts...

k, have my fingers crossed. I did see some video's where they unbolted shaft housing from the cv joint, it was enough for the diff to drop without dropping it more. Did you try that? I have had to do this in my other one, the hardest part was putting the diff back up.

rook

Reaction score
There was another post that said this could be done without dropping the diff. So, probably could be done. I just chose to pull it all down and power through since it was all pretty easy to get to.

Yoslick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the same low oil pressure problem at start up and slowly built as it warmed up, pulled the front off and changed the oil pump and o-ring, found the o-ring flattened and cracked so that was probably the culprit but with 219k on the engine a high volume pump was a logical choice since I had it apart, did the water pump and thermostat at the same time. 60# at start up now and 210 on the temp and shes very happy now!!

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same low oil pressure problem at start up and slowly built as it warmed up, pulled the front off and changed the oil pump and o-ring, found the o-ring flattened and cracked so that was probably the culprit but with 219k on the engine a high volume pump was a logical choice since I had it apart, did the water pump and thermostat at the same time. 60# at start up now and 210 on the temp and shes very happy now!!
Why did you go with the HP pump? I read that you do it if your not building up enough oil pressure, is there really any down side? I have the pan off right now. On the 6.0 with electric fans, is it that much more work to do the pump or is it still a ***** to do? Kind of 50/50 on this. Only reason is that the pan is such a pain with diff, although I finally got smart and got a tranny jack.

rook

Reaction score
You've got to take the front off. I looked at an oil pump too, wish I could have done that at the same time. I was just trying to get the rig back up, given it was my wife's only ride to truck around our kids...

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got to take the front off. I looked at an oil pump too, wish I could have done that at the same time. I was just trying to get the rig back up, given it was my wife's only ride to truck around our kids...

Yeah, I am committed. I dropped the pan last night. The o-ring did not look that bad. Taking the front off. IMG_3422.JPGIMG_3422.JPG IMG_3422.JPGIMG_3424.JPGIMG_3422.JPG IMG_3427.JPGIMG_3424.JPG IMG_3422.JPG

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Damn kids.

rook

Reaction score
Kids got things to do! Places to be! Lol

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I can't get a GM puller, so the Chrysler one will have to do. Since I am removing the starter, thoughts on replacing it? It's the original, do these usually last forever and very reliable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts