No need to modify

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that most on this forum barely get their rigs home before they are planning to lift or lower, change the exhaust, convert the audio or headlights or interior, and generally turn their rig into something mildly or wildly different.

Funny: beyond tinting the front windows of my ride and getting some floor mats, I don't have any desire to modify it at all. I'm just thrilled to maintain her, repair anything that fails, keep her clean, and keep her running strong.

Maybe I really am turning into an old fart. Where's my walker? lol

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, my Suburban is 15 years old now and its still "mostly" stock. The mods that I have done are all pretty subtle, like swapping my 01 seats for newer 04 seats, and replacing the all red 01/tails with the 04-06 tails with a black border/outline around the tail light. Then I converted my clutch fan to Efans, and swapped out my stock wheels for newer GMC stock wheels. But my suspension is completely stock, so is most everything else.

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant keep a car stock. My work truck isnt even stack anymore...

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to replace worn parts with reasonable upgrades personally. I understand that doesn't make it "stock," but this is a nearly 15 year old vehicle there are improvements to be made within reason. Stock airride to bilsteins and air lift 1000 for example (which fit on all hoes and kons). Cheaper than oem and IMHO an improvement. The plan with this vehicle is very similar to yours OP. Catch up on maintenance items, replace with better than stock if possible, improve reliability if at all possible. Upgraded trans cooler, increase line pressure, vette servo, lighting. Looks and drives like a stock vehicle certainly. I dropped the suspension to 35" rear and 34" front with lower jounce stops, but those jounce stops were worn and springs were toast.

Last edited:

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Th simple beauty of keeping things stock is that you are way more likely to find a part off the shelf when away from home. I used to run large auto centers and once in a while we would get someone in from out of town who was forced to spend one or several nights because their specialty mod parts that failed were not generally available. Yet somehow that always seemed to be "our fault". Lol. As much much I loved the auto repair business I'm glad that I got out of it when I did.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to replace worn parts with reasonable upgrades personally. I understand that doesn't make it "stock," but this is a nearly 15 year old vehicle there are improvements to be made within reason. Stock airride to bilsteins and air lift 1000 for example (which fit on all hoes and kons). Cheaper than oem and IMHO an improvement. The plan with this vehicle is very similar to yours OP. Catch up on maintenance items, replace with better than stock if possible, improve reliability if at all possible. Upgraded trans cooler, increase line pressure, vette servo, lighting. Looks and drives like a stock vehicle certainly. I dropped the suspension to 35" rear and 34" front with lower jounce stops, but those jounce stops were worn and springs were toast.

^ This.

To each his own, and I've modified several prior vehicles so I'm not judging others and what they do. But at this point in my life, with this vehicle, I'm mostly interested in upgrades that aren't necessarily visible---I want to make the truck stronger and better-running, more reliable, and easier to operate over the long haul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094