No Hazard Lights and No High-Beam Lights - HELP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PJS3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2003 Yukon
296K miles

Last week I swapped out the water pump due to a coolant leak. I disconnected the battery completely (both positive and negative connections) for the job.

I can't remember the last time we had to use either the high-beams or the hazard lights.... So this could have become an issue a long time ago or it could in some way be related to me disconnecting the battery for the water pump job.

Bottom line is... My hi-beams do not work. My hazard lights do not work. Ironically, I find this out when I'm part of a funeral procession line where we were required to turn on our high beams and hazard lights... go figure.

The low beam headlights DO work. The turn signals DO work.

All fuses are good.

My only guess right now is bad relays.... But those jokers are expensive.... $10-$20 a piece and I'm not even sure if they are the culprit. Is there some way to test if mine are bad?

Seems like according to the interwebs "I" am the only person experiencing this specific issue!!! LOL... I don't believe that though.

Can anybody shed some light (pun intended) on my situation here????

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me I'd take a good relay and swap it with your possible bad one.
I have no real idea why those two are messing up but I'd start with a swap until someone can shed light on your situation.

OP
OP
P

PJS3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it were me I'd take a good relay and swap it with your possible bad one.
I have no real idea why those two are messing up but I'd start with a swap until someone can shed light on your situation.

Yeah, that's the plan... Strange situation. Will be trying today.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if the relays are not the problem... they don't share a common power or ground circuit which the only thing left that they could have in common is the multifunction switch if I'm not mistaken. So hopefully you just need a couple relays and not that switch.

nallybri

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact same problem. New multi function switch, and no multifunction relay have not solved the problem.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Yukon
296K miles

Last week I swapped out the water pump due to a coolant leak. I disconnected the battery completely (both positive and negative connections) for the job.

I can't remember the last time we had to use either the high-beams or the hazard lights.... So this could have become an issue a long time ago or it could in some way be related to me disconnecting the battery for the water pump job.

Bottom line is... My hi-beams do not work. My hazard lights do not work. Ironically, I find this out when I'm part of a funeral procession line where we were required to turn on our high beams and hazard lights... go figure.

The low beam headlights DO work. The turn signals DO work.

All fuses are good.

My only guess right now is bad relays.... But those jokers are expensive.... $10-$20 a piece and I'm not even sure if they are the culprit. Is there some way to test if mine are bad?

Seems like according to the interwebs "I" am the only person experiencing this specific issue!!! LOL... I don't believe that though.

Can anybody shed some light (pun intended) on my situation here????
Simplify the circuit. IF positive switched circuit: 12volts...plug in connections...switch...relays...load...ground connection.
If negative switched circuit: 12 volts...connections...load...switch....ground connection.

The high beam elements could have failed anytime. load test each bulb off vehicle. Are brake lights functioning?

OP
OP
P

PJS3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact same problem. New multi function switch, and no multifunction relay have not solved the problem.
I did actually. Been many years ago now... But as I remember it turned out to be a disconnected wire inside the actual control switch itself. Don't ask me how, but the wire inside the actual high beam/ turn signal actuator controller had come disconnected. I either ended up replacing the switch or taking the existing one apart and reconnecting the wire. Again, it's been many years ago now... But I do remembe that being the problem. Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep