No freeway acceleration 1995 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdwxly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a new to me 1995 Tahoe with 5.7 motor and 4L60E transmission. The car has 157,000 miles on it and appears to have been well maintained. When the drivetrain is up to normal temperature the vehicle will maintain freeway speed (70 mph) but will not accelerate much past that point. If I floor the accelerator pedal the transmission will drop from OD to 3rd and the revs will jump to about 2500 and just sit there. If I keep the pedal down the car will not accelerate. It runs smoothly at all throttle positions, but it will not accelerate.

I've also noticed this behavior in lower gears, where the engine will rev up to a point (usually around 3000 rpm) and just sit there without upshifting. If I back off the accelerator just a little bit the transmission will upshift and the cycle repeats.

Stuff I have tried so far: The engine was running too cold (around 140) so I replaced the thermostat which corrected that issue. The fuel mileage was really bad (about 8 mpg) so I guessed it was running in open loop mode and replaced the front coolant temperature sensor. That improved the mileage to about 12 mpg. Today I pulled and checked the EGR valve and it was pretty clean and working normally, with no diaphragm leakage. I also did a manifold vacuum test at idle (saw 20 inches) and 2500 rpm (saw 18 inches) to see if there was an exhaust system blockage issue.

This is an ODB I vehicle and there are no codes and the check engine light is not on. Where do I look next? I'm thinking perhaps throttle position sensor or O2 sensor?

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jump pins a and b on the obd port and do the flash codes to be sure theirs no codes alot of them don't trip the SES, could be fuel pressure related too

OP
OP
J

jdwxly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jump pins a and b on the obd port and do the flash codes to be sure theirs no codes alot of them don't trip the SES, could be fuel pressure related too

All I got was 12 repeated over and over. I'm pretty sure that means no codes found, correct?

OP
OP
J

jdwxly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TPS checks out ok - proper voltage range and smooth variation of the voltage through the range. Next up is a fuel filter and perhaps a fuel pressure check.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cataletic convertor or exhaust restriction, as for the shifting, I'm thinking vacuum leak(small) JMHO, and good luck.
David g............:)....:2cents:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on checking the converters to see if they are restricting flow.

Not sure what the spec is, but fairly sure you put a gauge in place of an oxygen sensor and see what the upstream pressures are. You'd then need to make sure you addressed whatever damaged them to begin with or it'll just happen again. The poor fuel economy (running rich?) may have been the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk