No Cut Rear Camera Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

revus7313

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've read and watched many of the walk throughs and come away without a good answer.

I'd like to install a license plate frame backup camera routed to a front head unit. I'm going to run keyed power back with the video cable so the camera is powered and I can view what I'm hauling while driving.

Is there a way to access the exterior around the rear handle or plate frame without drilling access holes?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I installed my rear camera and ran the wires through the truck behind the plastic interior panels. No drilling holes. IMAG0898.jpg IMAG0901.jpg

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
You'd need to take off the inner panel, and the appliqué above the plate. Run the wire up thru and thru the factory gasket inside the cabin.

OP
OP
R

revus7313

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any advice on removing the appliqué without damaging it? I read Locktite was used installing it, and the bolts have a bad habit of breaking plastic. What have been your experience with this piece?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
If you have a micro torch, heat up those two bolts real quick and those 10mm come right off. If they do break (9 out of 10 do), just throw some epoxy on them to hold it back on. Weve been having to do that for about 10 years now and none have ever come back.

OP
OP
R

revus7313

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like there's not going to be a nondestructive way to route under the applique so it may not be worth the trouble to do so.

I've seen lots of different routing strategies drilling holes online, what's everyone's preferred method for routing the cables when installing a license frame camera?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos