NO CAT VS CAT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called around and no one does it in Seattle I’m just gonna settle for a cherry bomb or super 10 instead of my flowmaster 44! But what remote start is that ?
I doubt you'll find anybody to remove your cats in your stock exhaust due to where they're located since it would be too much work and also keep in mind you need to have a tuner remove your downstream O2 sensors so you won't get a check engine light and pass emissions. Also like @Tonyrodz said, if the testing station has a visual inspection you need to rig something that looks like cats and hope they don't figure it out. Most who delete their cats do it when installing headers, and just get y-pipes without them. So it kind of depends on if you're feeling lucky and if you want to do longtubes, as well as if the performance gain is worth it. I would have loved to have left them off my headers but I realized Oregon does a visual inspection and didn't want to have to add them afterwards if I failed. But once I pass, I'll probably remove them until next inspection.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I doubt you'll find anybody to remove your cats in your stock exhaust due to where they're located since it would be too much work and also keep in mind you need to have a tuner remove your downstream O2 sensors so you won't get a check engine light and pass emissions. Also like @Tonyrodz said, if the testing station has a visual inspection you need to rig something that looks like cats and hope they don't figure it out. Most who delete their cats do it when installing headers, and just get y-pipes without them. So it kind of depends on if you're feeling lucky and if you want to do longtubes, as well as if the performance gain is worth it. I would have loved to have left them off my headers but I realized Oregon does a visual inspection and didn't want to have to add them afterwards if I failed. But once I pass, I'll probably remove them until next inspection.
Imo, removing them isn't worth the hassle or aggravation. I wanted to add them into the new Y pipe, but my guy was just a lazy pos. You could always just hollow them out too. Visually they'll still be there, but it'll just be an empty shell. That's if you'r going to use your stock Y pipe. Also, even if I state doesn't have an emissions test, I don't think any legitimate shop will admittingly say they will remove them. Too much of a legal liability(fines, money)for them.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Install fake ones (if you can fit them) and you'll pass the visual while not altering the flow:

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-intercooler-piping/catalytic-converter-p-320.html

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo, removing them isn't worth the hassle or aggravation. I wanted to add them into the new Y pipe, but my guy was just a lazy pos. You could always just hollow them out too. Visually they'll still be there, but it'll just be an empty shell. That's if you'r going to use your stock Y pipe. Also, even if I state doesn't have an emissions test, I don't think any legitimate shop will admittingly say they will remove them. Too much of a legal liability(fines, money)for them.

I had mine removed on my S10. I called a muffler shop to get a price and the guy said "We will not remove cats on a street-driven vehicle. But, if you bring your vehicle here, I'd be happy to assess it and see if I can help you resolve whatever problem you may be having with your exhaust." Turns out he was just being safe because he didn't know who I was on the phone. I could've been someone from the EPA setting him up for all he knew. Once I pulled up with a slammed and supercharged Xtreme, he was cool with it. My request was kept very generic with me saying, while pointing in the general area of the cat, "I have this section of broken exhaust that I need cut out and replaced with a good section." $40 and 20 minutes later, I had a straight pipe in it's place.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that, I'd like to see what it looks like installed. My midpipes on my headers are easily removed though, and I'm thinking that after inspection I'll pull them off and weld in a straight section or else just gut the cats. That fake one looks cool though.

I've seen people beat or press a piece of pipe straight through their stock cat. You keep your original cat so it looks and fits like OE, but it has a smooth path through it. I'm unfamiliar with the setup of the NBS exhausts, but this may be another option for you.