Nivomat load leveling shock absorber Conversation to BILSTEIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KR66

Reaction score
Has any converted there GMC with the Nivomat rear shocks to a aftermarket system? I just can’t see paying $400.00+ for just one shock! After a lot of research I found Bilstein makes a conversation kit that consists of 2 Bilstein 4600 shocks and springs to eliminate the overpriced OEM system! It’s available for around $300 for The Whole kit VS over $800.00 for 2 of the OEM shocks! Has anyone here used this kit or done it separately? I was thinking of getting the Bilstein 5100s and the Springs separately since I put 5100s on the front! To balance the front and back with the same technology! The kit is https://us.bilstein.com/en/product-...33686607312390&SubModelId=2812124237904688377
Some people think the Nivomat shocks are the same as the auto ride but it’s completely different these have internal pumps that don’t need air or power there’s nothing connected to the shocks it’s all done internally! They are about the size of a air shock, before I spend the money on the conversation I was hoping someone can tell me how it rides? The fronts made a world of difference but apparently without changing the springs and just putting regular shocks on the back the dampening will be all out of wack! And make the problem worse!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the same crap shot shocks, ordered the same 5100 shocks too, they should be here friday, next warmish day thy get installed.

my brother has em in his yuk, they do the job.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5100 is for lifted trucks, 4600 is for stock or slightly lowered. I removed my autorideshocks and stock compressor setup. Replaced it with bilstein 4600s and AirLifts bags (go inside stock springs) and compressor/gauge. Works awesome. I monitor bag psi from the drivers seat and add or fill air as needed depending on load. If you purchase their wiring it will come with a minimum psi switch that will maintain a certain set pressure at all times, but you can still raise it when needed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the part number for the oem shocks? While expensive, I don't think they're over priced at all, there's a lot of technology in there.

Tibo77

Reaction score
I just did the smooth ride conversion on my 09 Hoe LT. Used Moog springs and put Bilstien 5100s on all 4 corners. It raised the rear ride height quite a bit but the ride and I kid you not, is like driving off the floor new. I may at a later time try to level her but I’m gonna let them settle a few thousand miles first. Aside from the ride height change, my jaw is still on the floor. Best change I’ve done.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a used set of Nivomat shocks off a 2002 Tahoe for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts