Newer motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockmax77

Reaction score
I have a 97 2-door hoe with a blown motor, I want to swap in a newer 5.3L or 6.0L. My question is if I get the whole computer with wiring harness with the newer motor will my tranny work fine with the new computer? Anyone done this swap? Any write ups on it, I couldn't find any? All your info is greatly appreciated, thx

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It can but you are talking about having to have two computers on-board and sharing info between them in order to retain full functionality of the vehicle. the newer pcm will handle the engine tranny while the other handles the rest with some sensor data shared between them.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what tranny do you have if its a 4L60E wich i think it is you can upgrade to a 4.8 or a 5.3
i think with a 6.0 youd need a 4L70E because the 4l60E is rated to handle like 360 ft lbs torque and the 6.0 is like 373 ft lbs
as for as the 4.8 lr4 motor is rated between 270 to 290 hp and the 5.3 lm7 is 285 to305 hp now you can rebuild yer 4l60E like i did to handle more hp and torque
yer 97 5.7 they advertise 255 hp wich is probably more like 175 to 200 being that the engine would be 17 years old if it were still running

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

couldnt he just essentially get a PCM for 2000 to 2006 tahoe

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Never assume you know what an engine power output is based on age. Just stick with the design ratings all the time with any given component.

No, he will need the older pcm and its OBD2 connector in place to retain full functionality of the EVO steering, cruise control, 4WD, some instrumentation, ABS, and keyless entry. The hvac system and tachometer system will need to be modded. SRS will remain isolated with the exception of the diagnostic connector. I think that covers it for the basics.

OP
OP
rockmax77

rockmax77

Reaction score
Sounds like a big headache. If I use the same tranny that comes with the newer 5.3L will I still have to use both computers?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes the new computer will handle the carry over tranny or newer it is all the other stuff that you need the older pcm in place for. For me at least me it is easy to do but it does take time to make it all completely functional and to make all the changes to ensure they are trouble free for many many years.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read.

https://www.google.com/search?q=obs...7.7511j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166692

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...n-vortecs-parts-list-ls-swaps-obs-trucks.html

This is a straight forward simple swap.
A one armed monkey can do this conversion.

Don't let ppl who have never done it or been involved with the swap tell you anything.
Research it, buy parts and jump in head first.

I will say this. Its far simpler and sometimes cheaper to just buy a 2000 or newer vehicle than swapping.
But considering you have a 2 door. I would swap.

Last edited:

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a 383 stroker. There's a guy selling them on fleabay for 3K. I think he's out of Houston. Looks like a pretty good deal. Or a new gm 350 for 2K. Both a ton simpler than the 5.3L or 6.0L swap.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The stroker mainly would just require a cubic displacement value changed in the pcm programming. Would advise getting the newer fuel injector assembly as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667