Newbie with 2016 Tahoe rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those experiencing this, can you describe exactly what you're feeling? I just bought a 16' XL Denali a few weeks ago. When stopped, I notice a little vibration or "gurgle" that happens every few seconds. However I'm not seeing any movement in the tach when it occurs. I wasn't sure if this was normal behavior for the 6.2, or if this is the rough idle that others are describing.

It's pretty much what you've described. If you've ever had a vehicle shut off on you at a stop. It's kind of like that, but not to that extreme.

As far as the tach, it is barely noticable. But it only happens under 500 rpm's.

I used to have a Chevy Colorado 1st gen that did something very similar, but a throttle body cleaning took care of the vibration completely. As a matter of fact that's the first thing I did to this vehicle, but it didn't do any good.

Had I not had a 2016 Tahoe before this one, I probably wouldn't be making such a big stink about it. But there's an obvious difference. Seems like a quality control issue. "These engines just run like this", is a bunch of BS. I've experienced what this engine is supposed to run like first hand.

We'll see what the dealer tells me tomorrow. The service advisor already hinted at the vehicle being within the manufacturers acceptable vibaration level.

OP
OP
A

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well it's been a week since the service advisor told me they would need to order a longer sensor for the pico scope. He gave me the option of picking it up and they would call when the part came in, or leaving it at the dealership. I chose to leave it at the dealership, believing that they would probably never call me to bring it back in.

I called today for an update, and they told me the part hadn't arrived yet. Since there's no urgency to get the vehicle back on our part, I told him I would continue leaving it until the part gets there.

....to be continued.

2016YUKONSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's been a week since the service advisor told me they would need to order a longer sensor for the pico scope. He gave me the option of picking it up and they would call when the part came in, or leaving it at the dealership. I chose to leave it at the dealership, believing that they would probably never call me to bring it back in.

I called today for an update, and they told me the part hadn't arrived yet. Since there's no urgency to get the vehicle back on our part, I told him I would continue leaving it until the part gets there.

....to be continued.

You should take the spare key fob, go up to the dealer and move it in front of the service bay to bring it to their attention until they feel some urgency...lol

OP
OP
A

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Three weeks since I first took my Tahoe in to the dealer, and they told me they're still waiting for the Picoscope part. So i finally picked it up my Tahoe from the dealer. It had been sitting there in their back lot, untouched. The service advisor told me the part they are waiting for hasn't come in. He told me he would call me as soon as the part comes in. I'm not going to hold my breath.

At this point my options are...
1. Leave it as is. Honestly it's not that bad. I just expected better.
2. Find another dealer....again.
3. Just wait and maybe this dealer will call me.......eventually.

revolt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heard the same issue over a buddy here and he just get used to it.

chevypat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 2016 LT. It kinda feels like its kicking the V4 on idle to save gas? (Hopefully that's the concept), But the cluster still says V8. Its not worse but I can feell the vibration. Currently at 32k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*****UPDATE*****
Completely unexpected. The dealership called me two Thursdays ago to tell the the part for the Picoscope came in, so I took it back in to the dealer this past Tuesday. They still haven't found the issue, but he told me he had a GM field engineer helping their tech.

OP
OP
A

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 2016 LT. It kinda feels like its kicking the V4 on idle to save gas? (Hopefully that's the concept), But the cluster still says V8. Its not worse but I can feell the vibration. Currently at 32k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. At first I didn't realize there is an indicator that tells you when the vehicle is in V4 mode. But the vehicle still shows V8 when the rough idle exists. Either way, my previous 2016 Tahoe LS didn't vibrate like this. So it seems like a quality control issue. Unless the LS models aren't equipted with AFM.

OP
OP
A

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*****Update****. Dealer indicated GM wants them to install a new set of shims, on the motor mounts.

OP
OP
A

Axeman417

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, so just to end this thread, in case anyone has the same issue in the future. They put new shims. According to their Picoscope diagnostic tool, the trembling was reduced to within the "acceptable range". To me it's not perfect, but It's not horrible. Since I purchased this vehicle used, and I didn't notice the condition on the test drive, I don't have a leg to stand on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu