Newbie here. Bought a 2010 Yukon Denali 6.2L last year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullochdawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This morning, noticed a tapping on the way to work. Was constant. Can't say it got worse; maybe better, then worse, and back and forth.

Sounds like a lifter tapping. Close as I can tell, it seems to be coming from the right side (left facing the engine), right around the oil filler cap. Maybe the forward most valve on that side.

What would be a good method of determining whether its a rocker/oil pump/etc.?

In my limited reading, it could be a number of things. I'm going to see if throws any codes this evening.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go to a mechanic he should pin point it exactly

OP
OP
B

Bullochdawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Tahoe. I'm definitely taking it to a mechanic. I just want to make sure they do an exhaustive analysis, and not just jump to conclusions.
I want to be able to ask all the right questions to make sure they've checked all possibilities and how they came to their conclusion.

Thanks again

OP
OP
B

Bullochdawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got back from mechanic. he listened top and bottom and determined it's a rod bearing. He said only for sure way is to drop the pan and check the bearings.
Taking it to the dealership tomorrow for a second opinion.
Not good news. He's saying you have to pull the engine to replace the bearings...and you might as well change all of them while you have it out...and I'd be better off just getting another used engine.
This one has 152,000. Gone too soon.
Hoping dealership gives me better news

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure you are up to it but, you could tear the valve covers off. Check the rockers and pushrods. Then if you are really begging for back pain, tear off the heads to check the valves and lifters. Keep in mind gaskets and head bolts are not exactly cheap

OP
OP
B

Bullochdawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. Bolts and gaskets sound a lot cheaper than the $7k they were guesstimating for replacing the engine. :)

Have been doing some youtubing tonight and watched a couple of videos showing a quick check to determine bad rod bearing and which one.
Even saw one on changing the bearings from the bottom. Not the right thing to do, but with the price tag for new bearings/engine vs giving it a shot bears some consideration.

Will probably drop the pan first to check for metal shavings and go from there.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
B

Bullochdawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, in talking to a couple of guys here at work that are mechanics (rebuild older cars for a hobby), they said that the noise they heard yesterday isn't a rod bearing. They both said it sounded more like a 'tapping' or 'ticking'. Said it is more likely a lifter or even an injector.
Guess I have some more troubleshooting research to do.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2010 denali at around 110k the silonoid was failing for the afm sounded similar but with smoke. Only cost about 350 in parts and an afternoon.

But to me to sounds like yours is failing afm lifters. Witch is a more common problem with these engines. It's still not a 7k fix.

I had a competent dealer that I trusted to help me out at no cost. But I say look at the lifters first then the vram (valley cover, houses the silonoids for dod/afm) both of those are still cheaper than a new engine.

OP
OP
B

Bullochdawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Everything I've read points to lifters. Talked to my banker friend who has a 2011 Denali. He was able to recommend a good mechanic that has a lot of experience with these engines. I'm going to pull the valve covers this weekend to see what I can find...if anything. Going to drop the oil pan just to see if there are any metal particles in there.
Will probably drop it off with this mechanic on Monday.

Thanks