New vvt cam installed big problem now. Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made sure to torque the bolts and install the gaskets correctly. And I am running the original blackbear tune. Since I got the tune in October 2016 (I think) I have recently added the new eps vvt cam, airaide mit, 1 7/8 long tubes, ORY 3 inch to 3.5 collector and flowmaster 40 with 3.5 inch exhaust front to back. And unplugged the rear O2 sensors since I have no cats now. I emailed for a new tune on the 15th. Still waiting for a reply. Blackbear has done more for me than just tune my car. They have offered crucial knowledge in troubleshooting when 3 dealers wouldn't even touch my car. And they have helped me select performance upgrades to suit my use even though I didn't buy the parts from them. But they are very busy and it takes quite awhile to hear back from them at times. A++ customer service. But don't expect a quick response. I'm sure if I called them to bug them it would be faster but that's not my style. Especially when they are my tuner, not my mechanic. But they have gone above and beyond for me.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Wait so you put 6 quarts and a bottle of another fluid? You may of just overfilled it. 6 is the max. Extra oil if it was overfilled has to go somewhere. I seen a car in our shop that fits your description because they overfilled.

OP
OP
Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the 07 denali 6.2 took 6 quarts plus filter. And since I use an oversized filter, I assumed the small amount would be negligable

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
6q is with oil filter. Just looked it up on Alldata. When you say extra bottle, did you mean like a 16oz additive or a big bottle like a Oil Stabilizer which is about a quart

OP
OP
Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it looks like my smoke is just oil which is much better than a head gasket. But I still have code p0011 and p0016. It's a vvt engine. That's for another thread I think

OP
OP
Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to let this thread die.
Problem=smoke after cam and exhaust change from the tailpipe
Solution=check pcv. I have researched and it looks like it may have been bad before but cats can hide the particular symptom I had. Reason being, the cats hold a large surface area and very high temp. This will catch the unburnt oil and eventually dry it out inside the cats. So no smoke from the exhaust but it will eventually ruin your converters.
R.I.P. thread

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still alot of good info in this thread. I would still like to know what the final outcome is.

OP
OP
Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad pcv valve. As for the few dtr codes I have
P0011
P0016
P0036
P0053
p0054
P0056
p0060
P0141
P0161
p0230

P0230 was because I unpluged the fuel pump relay to prime the oil system before initial engine start.
P0011 and p0016 are codes related to installing the comp cam phaser in a fairly stock tune.
And everything else is related to deleting the rear O2 sensors.
The smoke was my only real problem all along and it was a simple pcv valve letting lots of oil in my intake. Which I had before I did the cam swap but I didn't realize it. I just need to get blackbear to give me a new tune now and I should be back to 0 codes and be able to use my remote start again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64