New to the site, looking for answers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyGMCissues

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We bought this 2011 Yukon about a year and a half ago with 73,000 miles. Wife's everyday driver racked up the miles to 120,000 in about a year and a half. Then we had oil leaking somewhere from under the hood, traced it back to a loose oil filter. Fixed it we thought, then leaked some more. Changed the oil filter a couple times because of it. Now about 3 weeks ago the wife was bringing the kids to daycare and had to turn around and bring it home. She thought we were low on oil again, checked the oil after work, sure enough quart low. Then I start it. It runs for like 10 seconds and I thought I was in the clear. Now we brought it to a local mechanic and he said the motor is locked up. I was just wondering if we misdiagnosed this or if this ever happened to anybody on here. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you drive it to the mechanic? If so, I question if and or how it locked up! I wonder if your adapter is leaking or if you have K5L, the oil cooler lines are leaking near the filter or somewhere else?

smccollamjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would guess oil cooler lines. They are near the filter and notorious for leaking. If you drove it to the mechanic and it wasn't making crazy loud noises, I'd find a new mechanic.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would roll up with a gallon of oil, add and drive off. If it starts, mechanic a liar and you should leave.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought this 2011 Yukon about a year and a half ago with 73,000 miles. Wife's everyday driver racked up the miles to 120,000 in about a year and a half. Then we had oil leaking somewhere from under the hood, traced it back to a loose oil filter. Fixed it we thought, then leaked some more. Changed the oil filter a couple times because of it. Now about 3 weeks ago the wife was bringing the kids to daycare and had to turn around and bring it home. She thought we were low on oil again, checked the oil after work, sure enough quart low. Then I start it. It runs for like 10 seconds and I thought I was in the clear. Now we brought it to a local mechanic and he said the motor is locked up. I was just wondering if we misdiagnosed this or if this ever happened to anybody on here. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.
What happened between it running for 10 seconds and your mechanic diagnosing the problem? Did you drive it to the shop? After it ran for 10 seconds, did it die by itself? Will it turn over?

OP
OP
C

ChevyGMCissues

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What happened between it running for 10 seconds and your mechanic diagnosing the problem? Did you drive it to the shop? After it ran for 10 seconds, did it die by itself? Will it turn over?
The Yukon never ran just started for 10 seconds , died out, then got towed to the mechanic.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can you diagnose a "locked up" motor without at least taking a few things apart? That seems a bit extreme to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11