New to the Govt Tahoes - Bought a 2010 and have a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Yea I bought mine at Asia Motors (lol why Asia IDK, they were all Pakistany) and I found out they actually respond to emails, texts and phone calls. Chicago Motors refused to answer any of my questions, refuse or except and off my offers and bids and compared to ASIA their prices were EASILY $2000-$4000 more for a comparable truck. They both cut corners to get the trucks functioning and looking good. Its hard to tell who/where/when a lot of the "fixes" or issues were addressed (Govt, Auctioneers, Asia/Chi) as my Check Engine Light was literally cut somewhere so the light can NEVER come on. That in itself throws a CEL, ******** idiots lol.

All in all though, I was very happy with my purchase from Asia, cost me 10800 I believe. I would suggest that ANYONE LOOKING TO BUY A TAHOE in the Midwest, to spend the money (maybe make a vacay out of it) and go to Chicago for a couple days to look through (Asia I know you can, since ChiMotors never responded to anything who knows) their Inventory in person. I couldn't believe the selection Asia had on site and they had some ABSOLUTE GEMS on the lot....Super Low Miles, Mostly civilian, Super Clean and most importantly just a HUGEEEE inventory. This way you can pick, barter and get the best one suiting your needs. I found them through Ebay and bought a truck by talking to them before they had a chance to list it. They GO FAST, so the sooner you get there or win the auction the better.

Chicago Motors always took the best pictures and seemed to be in touch with what the majority of us, Govt Tahoe Owner's, want done aftermarket such as the PPV rims, Blacked out Bowtie, etc. because nearly every one of their trucks seems to have been gone through and updated/upgraded. Asia is more "straight off the auction block" style of seller.

My $0.02
Happy Memorial Day all!

PS Check the sticky we all had created last year after I bought my truck and wanted a central thread to "first time buyers"

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I bought mine at Asia Motors (lol why Asia IDK, they were all Pakistany) and I found out they actually respond to emails, texts and phone calls.

Pakistan is a part of the Asian continent though.... ;)

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had time to do anything to it yet, as you see it in the pictures is how it came. I believe the sales rep told me they took them out, but thats not to say they didnt. Everything on my list of things to do are pretty minor so far, so I'm defintiely happy about that.
Looks like they took the "oh shit" handle off the inside as well as the search lights.

My 04 yukon always has the tire monitor system on as well. I had my tires checked they are fine. Darn monitors screw up lots. Looks great. Very shiny!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just sealed the deal on my 2010 PPV today, fly out Friday to pick it up.

I too, can say Asia was pleasant and attentive through the whole process.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
That's a great looking hoe. Yes definitely get it sealed up and prepare for salt.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
<SNIP>

Did you blackout the front bowtie, they are supposed to be gold, If you didn't, it probably did not come straight from the Govt agency Also I don't think Chicago motors removes the spotlights. Just my 2 cents

Welcome to TYF

The bowtie on our '10 PPV looks black in some views. When my bride is coming down the street in it, I swear it's black, yet it's factory gold.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just bought my first Tahoe - 2010 Tahoe with 67k miles. From what I can tell, its a former border patrol truck from Laredo. I've done a bunch of searching for info on here since I'm new to this world, so I think I can say its not a PPV as it has 4wd. Tons of good info on here but I've noticed a few "quirks" after driving it for two weeks. Curious to hear some thoughts if I could trouble yall for some!

• Fan Hi fuse looks like it has melted down and been taken out - scheduled the recall for next week
  • Sounds like air is coming in somewhere on the driver's side pillar, possibly where they took the spotlights out?
  • There is an absolute ton of extra wiring in the engine bay including for a dash solar panel - looks like thats normal from what I've seen on here.
  • The rear seat has an issue staying locked in the up position
  • It's got a kind of "seatbelt" situation to latch the hood to the frame. maybe so it doesn't pop up while driving?
  • Interior is in very good shape I think. Very excited about the rubber floors and no holes in the dash anywhere.
  • "Service Tire Monitor System" comes on periodically, cant tell the rhyme or reason to that yet though.
  • Absolutely no rust since its coming from Texas, which is great since I live in Wisconsin - likely gonna get the underbody coated to prevent future rust.
  • Aux jack is loose, but I think that should be a quick fix.

View attachment 199973 View attachment 199974 View attachment 199975 View attachment 199976 View attachment 199977

For the air leak, double-check the door seal along the A-pillar. If someone removed the spot light, I find they rarely replace the seal. There will be a cut in one of them. You can also pull the interior A-pillar trim and look for the hole there.

The rear seats in our '10 PPV sometimes takes some extra effort to get them to lock in place, even though they looked like they'd never even been sat on. Specifically what doesn't lock, the seat backs, or the seat bottoms?

That seatbelt thing is not surprising for a SSV in South Texas. TxDPS/Sherriff/INS officers are not at all afraid to go WOT down a dirt road or dry creekbed, which can twist things quite a bit, even the frame. The secondary hood latch chould hold, but I guess they had a few failures of those things. Probably serves as a secondary latch in case the front end gets mashed a bit, but not enough to set the airbags off.

What tire pressures are you running? Sometimes, if you're close to the pressure to set the sensor off, you may be there. If you don't have one yet, invest in a DIC switch, which will let you look at a bunch of stuff you can't see without one. They're cheap and plug-and-play.

I bet rattling around those dirt roads in South Texas shook the aux jack nut loose. Should be an easy job to pop the dash panel off and tighten it up.

And welcome!

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the air leak, double-check the door seal along the A-pillar. If someone removed the spot light, I find they rarely replace the seal. There will be a cut in one of them. You can also pull the interior A-pillar trim and look for the hole there.

The rear seats in our '10 PPV sometimes takes some extra effort to get them to lock in place, even though they looked like they'd never even been sat on. Specifically what doesn't lock, the seat backs, or the seat bottoms?

That seatbelt thing is not surprising for a SSV in South Texas. TxDPS/Sherriff/INS officers are not at all afraid to go WOT down a dirt road or dry creekbed, which can twist things quite a bit, even the frame. The secondary hood latch chould hold, but I guess they had a few failures of those things. Probably serves as a secondary latch in case the front end gets mashed a bit, but not enough to set the airbags off.

What tire pressures are you running? Sometimes, if you're close to the pressure to set the sensor off, you may be there. If you don't have one yet, invest in a DIC switch, which will let you look at a bunch of stuff you can't see without one. They're cheap and plug-and-play.

I bet rattling around those dirt roads in South Texas shook the aux jack nut loose. Should be an easy job to pop the dash panel off and tighten it up.

And welcome!

I know this thread is from last year but I have a few comments since it was bumped up.

I have a BP tahoe as well and was upfitted in SoCal. I was told the clasp under the hood was for driving around and not overheating with the hood popped up a few inches. It also had crazy strong hood struts to hold it up.

the aux jack will need to be resoldered to the board. It’s a common failure with gm in general and isn’t hard if you’ve done any soldering at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu