New to Me 2008 4x4 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
Last year my in laws gifted my wife a 2008 Tahoe. It is a 4x4 5.3L LT with the AFM. She drove it for the last year and never warmed up to it. It currently has 99,000 miles on the odometer. My father-in-law is OCD about his vehicle maintenance. It is in mint condition other than a few light scuffs and scratches from my mother-in-law using it as a daily driver. He even put brand new tires on it before they gave it to us. The 4x4 was used in the winter up in their area, they got a little bit colder rougher weather up in the North Texas panhandle than we do down in South Texas. The 4x4 is in great shape. The automatic transmission fluid is still a light clean pink color. It already has a transmission cooler.

My wife decided she wanted to go back to a small car and settled on a 2014 Mustang Convertible. We traded in my 2008 Sport Trac and got an insane deal for both the trade in and Mustang.

I have been going through this forum and got the Range AFM delete module that was recommended. Before installing the module it was getting 14.5mpg. Now, it is averaging 16.1mpg. I am scratching my head trying to figure that one out.

Before installing the module last month, my father-in-law warned us it was using a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. I went ahead and at the next oil change put in a quart of Lucas oil and it stopped using oil all together. It is due for an oil change next week so I am going to leave out the Lucas Oil and see if the AFM delete module fixed that issue.

I also got a killer deal on the Jet Power Control Module off Amazon for a used unit for $126. It was easy to install. I noticed a bit improvement in performance and smoother shifting. Nothing amazing just a general feel of improvement. It has a bit more power when merging onto the freeway and when passing. There were several great reviews so I figured at $126 when a new one was $225 or more, I would give it a shot. I got the module in and it was still sealed in the factory plastic. It was an open box special from the warehouse.

I am using it as a daily driver and don't plan on hot rodding or a ton of off-roading. I am going to get the windows tinted just because it is freakin' hot here in South Texas and I miss the tinting on my Sport Trac. Other than that, I think I got it about where I want it for the time being. I noticed the windshield wipers are a bit different but that is no big deal. I am thinking about installing an oil catch can.

The left channel on the stereo is out, I believe it is an issue with the Bose Amp, not an emergency to fix yet. I'll take it to Mother's Window tint so they can troubleshoot the stereo while getting the windows tinted.

I saw the wireless charging mod for the center console lid and that was pretty slick. I am going to do that when I get the time. I was wondering if there are any other must have's cannot live without mods or accessories that would be helpful.

tahoe.jpg

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Congrats on the new to you from the wife Tahoe! Thats a great color!

I'm gona have to check into this wireless charging console lid. Have not heard of that and it sounds sweet!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your well maintained Tahoe!! That is my favorite color after white..I tinted my front windows the next day after I got it.

I am surprised your wife never warmed up to the Tahoe..I have yet to find a single person that never warmed up to any of my Tahoe's.. In fact no one wants to get out once I get my destination.

Welcome from Miami Beach William!!

OP
OP
W

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
She's always had smaller cars and for the last 12 years she's had to drive around big handicap equipped vans for our son. Just recently things lined up perfectly for us to be able to consider her a car she wanted. Her parent's gave her the Tahoe because her mom got a new 2016 Escalade. Her mother wanted to give her something nice instead of her driving the big van around. She said it was just as awkward to drive as the big Dodge Promaster we got for our son.

So, I got the Tahoe and she got the Mustang. I've always had mid-size trucks so I don't mind the bigger vehicle. It drives nice, is comfortable, and is in great shape. It is growing on me and I hope it lasts as long as possible. It only get 1mpg less than the V-6 Sport Trac and the insurance is not much more either. This is the first time I've not had a truck with an open bed, so it's going to take some getting used to.

I want to keep it looking as close to stock as possible. When it's time for new tires, I want to get something a little more aggressive to compliment the 4x4. Some cheap upgrades or tunes may be in order, but I think the Jet Power Module and AFM delete Module will cover most everything for the time being. It is a flex fuel too, I haven't run it on E85 yet but am curious as to how it does with the Modules I have installed.

OP
OP
W

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
Blackbear tune. E85 is terrible on gas milage. Welcome to the forum.

Just curious as to where in Texas you are, if there are any shops in the San Antonio area that specialize in tunes for it. The throttle response is sluggish. I stomp on the gas and wait a second then it takes off like a bat out of hell. That's the only complaint I have so far.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find running E85 in my 6.2 L9H Tahoe makes it sluggish too, and it also takes many more cranks to get it to start. It also does get worse mileage, so I don't run anything but 91 octane (I live in Colorado).

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in West Texas in the country about 30 minutes outside of Lubbock. I don't know of any tune shops in SA but there are a few in Dallas.

OP
OP
W

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
Ha, I am from the Lubbock Area, I used to live there up until 2005.

Update on the using oil issue. I've put close to 2000 miles, including a 1,000 mile road trip to Mississippi and back, on the Tahoe since the last oil change and it hasn't used one drop since I installed the Range AFM Delete Module. I didn't run the Lucas Oil Additive either.

Without the additive the engine was running a little rougher than with it, so I poured in the additive with the engine running until it smoothed out. It took about 1/2 quart and it was running nice and smooth.

I have been using Lucas Oil additive since forever. I had a dodge Dakota I put close to a half million miles on using the additive. I am a firm believer in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts