New tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mathewsky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello guys,
I will buy a tahoe next week. Before buying I have question. So it is a 2002 tahoe 5.3 lt autoride, thé guy has removed the autoride system and put standard shocks, But my question is concerning the kilometers and hours trip informations. This tahoe is only 133 000km but it also has 4417 hours on it, so it makes 30 km/h average speed (18,64mph) the truck came from italy (Roma) so You can see it makes a lot of city, but The seller makes 1000km to bring it back to France and it runs perfect, all fluids are ok. The exterior is in really good shape but interior shows wear... driver and passenger seats are tired showing it makes lot of short ride in the city.
What do you think about it?
A few pictures attached
Thanks and regards

IMG_4844.JPG IMG_4855.JPG IMG_4858.JPG IMG_4863.JPG IMG_4864.JPG

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a certified mechanic that is used regularly? Maybe have it thoroughly examined for a small fee? I understand your concern of the hours matching mileage but I don't know that a lot of forum members can give answers based on practical knowledge. Perhaps an Internet search will provide the tools you need for calculations.

On the other hand, a detailed & thorough maintenance history & the records that go along with it will give you some valuable insight as mileage should be recorded at the times work was performed on the vehicle. Have you discussed these records with the current owner? You didn't mention anything on this topic but most people buying used cars want to know where the vehicle stands with upkeep as that provides a baseline of expenses to be incurred in addition to the sales price.

To conclude, there are other aspects related to purchase of a used car along with mileage/hours. GM vehicles are well built and a large percantage (given timely maintenance & care) last many years/miles and well into 3rd & 4th-hand ownerships. If you are not provided the records of upkeep & vehicle service I would suggest having a qualified mechanic assist you before making a final decision. Not that my suggestion answers your question but offering assistance with which I do have knowledge & experience. What you may believe a good purchase by all outward appearance and undocumented info (opinion/facts/half-truths/exaggerations) expressed by the current owner results in a fluctuated expenditure by the purchaser as to the repairs necessatating what would be called "reliable or road-worthy vehicle"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mathewsky

Mathewsky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello chubbs and many thanks for your reply. This Tahoe is a first hand owner, the actual seller bring it back to France, he is a professional 4x4 seller, he sells at least 1 tahoe per month and already own Tahoe for his personal use:) I can imagine he knows the subject. The Italian guy who sell him the Tahoe didn't keep any bill of maintenance.. but the professional seller told me that this guy was an American car collector, so I can imagine his car was well maintained.. I want a reliable vehicle for my everyday use and this one looks good but this 30 km per hour average speed showing it makes lot of city and idling scares me a bit

brasil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....Keep your hands off such a car.. I would never buy a car without any bill of maintenance. Also the City driving is a no go. Look for a car with CLEAR history... not the fairy tail of the US car collector...

Greetings Jurgen

OP
OP
Mathewsky

Mathewsky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for your reply, I finally didn't buy the Tahoe, I'm still waiting for the good one:)

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i spent a solid 6-7 months looking for mine. dont get excited when you go to look at one. be ready to just walk away more often then not.

unless you dont mind doing all the repairs it needs yourself, then you can use every last little thing wrong with it as a price drop.

i found a few with brown tranny fluid and pissing rear main seals and just walked right there. didnt even test drive them. others were just to beat up with way more miles then id like. i was also only shopping for a red or blue one, so that narrowed my search a lot making it take longer too.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just a note on the hours/mileage comparison my 2012 has 95k and about 4100 hours, I drive about 85mph on the highway and city driving is 25-35-50 (atleast around here), hours are more likely chalked up to idle time, I warm mine up in the morning and let it sit and idle with the ac going in the summer a lot and with heat when it's cold, I don't feel 133km and 4400 hours are far off from normal at all, I would be worried if the hours were much less or much more indicating someone had messed with the odometer. even though both can be changed with a programmer.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14