New Tahoe Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! A couple plastic trim pieces short but hell if you want to keep that look and can't find them... let me know I still have mine from when I took them off.

And of course, Welcome to forum!

OP
OP
KReed450

KReed450

Reaction score
Nice! A couple plastic trim pieces short but hell if you want to keep that look and can't find them... let me know I still have mine from when I took them off.

And of course, Welcome to forum!
Thanks! I've got the ones for the front fenders still but the 35's rub them so I took them off for now. Planning on going down to 33's and putting them back on

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ari-NFL.gif

Just use the upload file button on the bottom right near the reply button. Browser for the pics you want and then add them in, then you will see the pics below the reply box, and then click on the Thumbnail or Full Image when you want to insert them in the post.

ari-NFL.gif

ari-NFL.gif

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when picking up a used vehicle, especially 15-yrs old or whatever, always a good idea to change all of the fluids out. FT/RR diffs, Tcase, new Filter a Dexron6-synthetic for the trans, 5w30 dexos synthetic motor oil, coolant, flush the brakes & power steering, lube all of the chassis grease zerks (15 or so) new spark plugs maybe wires too, rotate the tires & have wheel alignment checked along with front suspension/steering, replace PCV valve & fuel filter. Inspect the brake pads as well, Get any fault codes squared away i.e. "check engine"
That truck is a BEAST & those wheels look awesome on the white paint scheme.

I bought a 2003 and did 2 or 3 maintenance R&Rs each week until everything in it was fresh. Hopefully it keeps going another 125k

Do you know the previous owner or have the maintenance history?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KReed450

KReed450

Reaction score
when picking up a used vehicle, especially 15-yrs old or whatever, always a good idea to change all of the fluids out. FT/RR diffs, Tcase, new Filter a Dexron6-synthetic for the trans, 5w30 dexos synthetic motor oil, coolant, flush the brakes & power steering, lube all of the chassis grease zerks (15 or so) new spark plugs maybe wires too, rotate the tires & have wheel alignment checked along with front suspension/steering, replace PCV valve & fuel filter. Inspect the brake pads as well, Get any fault codes squared away i.e. "check engine"
That truck is a BEAST & those wheels look awesome on the white paint scheme.

I bought a 2003 and did 2 or 3 maintenance R&Rs each week until everything in it was fresh. Hopefully it keeps going another 125k

Do you know the previous owner or have the maintenance history?

I did a good amount of work when I got it, pass. Side CV shaft, pitman arm, idler arm and bracket. Had to fix the wires that go into the hubs (ABS light was on). Check engine light was on due to the wires on the EVAP vent valve were separated. Upper ball joint on pass. Side and the inner tie rod as well. Also did an alignment due to doing the pitman arm and idler arm. Next thing on the list is tires and doing headlights and tail lights. More cosmetic stuff.

I kind of like the wheels but I'd like to do a 20" chrome wheel with a 33" tire. That's down the road though.

The previous owner didn't have any maintenance records but from what I can tell they didn't really do a whole lot unfortunately. But yes I sure hope this thing will last me a while I love it!

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diff fluids are probably black in color with little to no viscosity or lubricating properties left, I would at least do a drain & refill on those with oil spec'd in maint sched. 80-90 Dino front and 75-90 synthetic in the rear diff. Check the fill level on the Tcase @ very least. If you do a drain & fill then AutoTrak fluid only.

The PS pumps whine like hell and pretty weak til the '05 upgrade, or so I have read. There is a TSB on flush and refill with synthetic and 1-unit of Lucas PS conditioner to keep it going. I can guarantee you the PS fluid was never changed: I also know for fact it is not a lifetime fill. Everything goes longer when fluid is routinely replaced. I would be wary of old trans fluid too. Chemicals are much cheaper than rebuilt units.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KReed450

KReed450

Reaction score
The diff fluids are probably black in color with little to no viscosity or lubricating properties left, I would at least do a drain & refill on those with oil spec'd in maint sched. 80-90 Dino front and 75-90 synthetic in the rear diff. Check the fill level on the Tcase @ very least. If you do a drain & fill then AutoTrak fluid only.

The PS pumps whine like hell and pretty weak til the '05 upgrade, or so I have read. There is a TSB on flush and refill with synthetic and 1-unit of Lucas PS conditioner to keep it going. I can guarantee you the PS fluid was never changed: I also know for fact it is not a lifetime fill. Everything goes longer when fluid is routinely replaced. I would be wary of old trans fluid too. Chemicals are much cheaper than rebuilt units.

Yeah I definitely want to do a tranny flush on it for sure just to make sure everything is good to go. I'll have to look up on that 05 upgrade for the PS pump. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne