New Tahoe Owner - Could use some feedback!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xDan

Reaction score
https://goo.gl/images/pNQUgm
Get under the SUV passenger side, look for the pinhole in that exact spot. Even if there is no hole but a bump, you need to get a new tc chain and chain guard. It's a common cause of low tc fluid.

OP
OP
Prorider17

Prorider17

Reaction score
@xDan I appreciate it. Sounds like it's one of those things that needs to be handled no matter what.

OP
OP
Prorider17

Prorider17

Reaction score
@swathdiver - I'd say a quarter of a quart. We didn't see a tiny hole in the side, but I'm getting the transmission fluid/filter done Thursday, so we'll check again. My main concern is that I've heard the transfer case can grenade if it runs out of fluid. However, it operated correctly, quietly and didn't give off any bad signs. I put two qts of the fresh stuff in and am going to keep my eye on it.

Sounds like I have to do the pump protector thing as a best recommendation. Who makes the best, yet most affordable kit?

toyrolet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've read about the transfer case rubbing against the anti-rattle clip, and you have to put this 'pump protector' in place to keep it from rubbing through the case. Basically, this: https://ktperformance.net/i-1417252...JLtwZf1W1l7L1Dxfvs0X8aRkz4Jvi_94aAmaHEALw_wcB
bump because i recently bought myself a hoe and ive done most maintenance but need to do rear diff & transfer case and this thread has me scared. I have vin and all my rpo codes, im doing the full suspension and some minor mods. want to post pics!!

OP
OP
Prorider17

Prorider17

Reaction score
bump because i recently bought myself a hoe and ive done most maintenance but need to do rear diff & transfer case and this thread has me scared. I have vin and all my rpo codes, im doing the full suspension and some minor mods. want to post pics!!

I took it to my mechanic, and he said I don't have fluid coming out of that hole, but I apparently have fluid seeping out where the front case meets the back case on the transfer case. Not sure what's up with that! Front and rear doffs are simple.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it to my mechanic, and he said I don't have fluid coming out of that hole, but I apparently have fluid seeping out where the front case meets the back case on the transfer case. Not sure what's up with that! Front and rear doffs are simple.
Do you mean the part that connects to the tranny or drive shaft? I did all the seals in mine along the with merchant pump upgrade. The upgrade it self was simple enough, the seals were easy, until I got to the front drive shaft one that was a pain!!! I ended up screwing my pull hammer with the screw and adapter in the seal and pulled it with all my might! My front diff oil looked like it had never been changed, Looked like metal grey fluid. I also bought two quarts of the ac delco autrak fluid for it.

OP
OP
Prorider17

Prorider17

Reaction score
Do you mean the part that connects to the tranny or drive shaft? I did all the seals in mine along the with merchant pump upgrade. The upgrade it self was simple enough, the seals were easy, until I got to the front drive shaft one that was a pain!!! I ended up screwing my pull hammer with the screw and adapter in the seal and pulled it with all my might! My front diff oil looked like it had never been changed, Looked like metal grey fluid. I also bought two quarts of the ac delco autrak fluid for it.
Upon closer examination, we found the pinhole. Sounds like a new rear case and chain are in order