New Tahoe Owner - Could use some feedback!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prorider17

Reaction score
Hi all - I recently purchased a 2005 Tahoe Z71 and could use some feedback. I am really OCD about my vehicles, and the truck I got could definitely use some 'love'.. So, I'm going to list out some of the things I've noticed, and if you're able to provide feedback, direct me to the search bar, or tell me I'm crazy, please go ahead!

1.Sunroof fabric is falling.
2. Clear coat has flaked off on front right fender and front right door. Possible to re-clear while getting good results?
3. Check Brake Booster showed up on DIC. I read it's a booster assist thing? This hard to do myself?
4. A/C blows cold (thank god because I'm in FL), but when I try to turn it to heat, it just keeps blowing cold. Passenger side works as it's supposed to, but not driver side. Is that the blend door or something else?
5. On its lowest setting, the AC blows at a good rate doing 70mph, when I get off at the exit, the AC doesn't blow as hard. That normal?
6. My truck has adjustable pedals. However, they only move half an inch. This a motor or gear issue?
7. Any special type of differential/transfer case fluid I should be using? I plan to do all fluids this weekend.
8. Dash has the paint worn off in certain areas. Easier to replace entire dash or repaint?

I look really forward to sharing updates with you all. I came from driving an F150, but have always enjoyed the NBS Tahoes. Something just so cool with them!

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off just let me say that you should definitely overlook/postpone repairs on anything that doesn't apply to major systems or driveability/reliability. It's an old truck so forget the small stuff and begin stocking-up on everything needed for a 100k mile service.

The service manual will list everything that needs servicing and the proper tools, chemicals and steps required. Don't even skip anything, do them all down to the PCV valve.

Be methodical in your approach. If the truck needs brakes, buy a setup with rotors, pads & hardware. Get a brake bleeding kit, new fluid in bulk and replacement flex hoses for the calipers. Since the booster is F'd up, you would find the diagnostic procedure for that in your manual go through the steps, remove & replace what is necessary. Then, replace all the service items, flush the old brake fluid, purge the valves and be done with it forever.

you may or may not have hydro boost where the brake booster runs off the power steering fluid but either way you would flush and refill the power steering loop next. Then just keep working your way through all of the major systems until you have new fluid & filters in everything, new vac' tubing, spark plugs and wires, drive belts, shocks & bushings. It really doesn't end

Along with the service manual, go ahead and get the build codes for your truck on paper so that you can order parts and have a better idea of what you are working with. Either take a clear photo of the label in your pass side glovebox or message @GM Customer Service

You need a trans filter kit with gasket and sealing ring, Dexron-6 synthetic, 5-qt AC Delco

2 quarts 75-90 synthetic for rear diff along with a gasket for GM 10-bolt. Cover comes off to drain.

2 quarts 80w conventional on the front diff, whatever is left over tops off the back diff.

2-LITERS *edited* Auto Trak fluid from NAPA Auto or GM dealer. Transfer case NP8. Has 'auto 4wd' mode

6-quarts AC Delco 5w-30 synthetic motor oil & Delco pf46 filter or NAPA gold fil1042
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL1042

'Z' if the 8th digit of your vin is flex fuel and needs fuel filter replaced. I got the NAPA silver
You need the Lisle low profile fuel line disconnect in 3/8 and a saw

There is a cabin filter retro fit mod. Do a search on that and the fuel filter to get acquainted with the process for each.

I use this sometimes:
http://gmpowertrain.nexpart.com/#b

Last edited:

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Casey, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your purchase. I have to agree with previous post by Chubbs, concentrate on the important things that are necessary, deal with the rest @ a later time. JMHO and good luck.
David g...........:)

OP
OP
Prorider17

Prorider17

Reaction score
Thank you both for your help. I'm planning on doing the 100k service this weekend, which is why I was more focused on more uncommon issues that I would like to get resolved. As for the fuel filter, my eighth digit is T. Does that mean I don't have a fuel filter?

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Prorider17

correct, I think vin 'z' is the only series with a fuel filter. you can look underneath the driver side doors inside the chassis rail and it will be there, if so equipped.

if you don't have the transfer case with 4-buttons and 'auto' mode then you will be using a different chemical. only the NP8 TC uses the blue colored 'auto trak' oil

have you IM'ed that link with your VIN for the build sheet yet? that will tell you/us the engine, trans-case, brakes, p/s, etc. the build sheet and codes makes its a breeze to surf rock auto & order the correct parts for your application. GM used all kinds of different shishk in the manufacture of this model.

Last edited:

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are rockin&rollin now.

check this thread out and order yourself a manual. I love shop manuals, personally. without it you are blind.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/factory-service-manual.99580/page-2#post-1201142

there are some other threads on most useful tools you will want to look at.

right now I'm just juggling between a crappy paper back and another crappy online subscription; both suck. if you can, go with the 1 discussed in the thread, alldataDIY or whatever.

the cheap publishings are good enough to get you through a project but I have found some blatant contradictions between the 2, so I cant exactly recommend Chilton or Haynes

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prorider17

Prorider17

Reaction score
Just to give an update on this truck. In the week I've had the Tahoe, I was able to get the sunroof shade re-upholstered, a replacement key fob, gave the truck a wash and did the following fluids.

• Engine oil - synthetic oil and filter.
  • Front differential - Oil looked ready for changing, but was still in good shape.
  • Rear differential - Oil also looked pretty good, but I'm happy I did it.
  • Transfer case - This part worries me, as I barely had any fluid come out. I am going to have to get a second set of eyes on it, but I'm thinking I have the notorious transfer case pump knock. Going to check for fluid drips this week. When I got the truck, I had no noise or problems coming from the transfer case though. Anyone have experience with this, feel free to chime in!
I'm planning on getting the radiator flush and transmission fluid/filter done this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63