New Tahoe another issue. ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter991

Reaction score
brand new Tahoe premier and was starting it this morning in -20. Truck started up no issue but after running for 10 min I get an OnStar alert that my battery is critically low. Then a message on the dash that the truck is running in battery saving mode. I got 5000 miles on this 2017. Don't have a clue what battery save mode is. And why I would have a bad battery already. Any one comment on this or what may be going on?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sitting on the dealer parking lot and not being started for extended periods of time. Others have experienced the same issue. New battery and issue resolved.

OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
Well i have owned it for a few months and have driven it since them. Anyone know what "battery save mode" is on this truck?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i have owned it for a few months and have driven it since them. Anyone know what "battery save mode" is on this truck?
Probably doesn’t let certain accessories/options work. I would put a new battery in it, like @Tahoe14 said. Diesnt matter if you’ve been driving it, when they sit on lot and arent started daily... new battery will take care of it.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wouldn't this fall under the trucks warranty? if it wont drive have them tow it in for service. the tow is free too if the dealer has it towed in.

OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
its warranty for sure. Got this truck in August and its been fine since. Now its -20 here. Just disappointing i guess. I am going to have the check the charging system on this truck while its in.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery saver mode is used for long term storage, like cross-country shipping.

Yukon Battery Saver Mode

Battery Saver Mode (Transport Mode)
Battery saver mode (transport mode) reduces the parasitic load of some modules during overseas shipment or during vehicle storage conditions. This improves the drain time on the battery (up to 70 days without the battery going dead). When a vehicle is in transport/storage, some features may have reduced functionality while in the battery saver mode, such as disabling keyless entry, afterblow, and content theft features. Battery saver mode is initiated by turning on the hazard flashers, applying the brake pedal, and then turning the ignition key to the start position or pushing the ignition mode switch with the foot on the brake for greater than 15 seconds. The mode is disengaged by repeating the previous process. The driver information center (if equipped) will display Transport Mode is On when battery saver mode is enabled and Transport Mode is Off when battery saver mode is disabled. For vehicles not equipped with a driver information center, the battery indicator light will constantly flash on the Instrument Cluster when battery saver mode is enabled. This feature can be used as many times as necessary if the vehicle is to be stored for an extended period of time.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happens. Dealership should swap in a new battery under warranty without any issues. Sure it's a PITA and frustration but something that can easily be fixed and you should be good to go after the replacement.

OP
OP
H

hunter991

Reaction score
They said nothing is wrong with the charging system or the battery. Couldn't find any issues with the truck at all. Sent me on my way and said if it happens again, bring it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518