New shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddie7644

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting rid of the shocks I have on my 04 LT. I have the bilstean 5100 but they have got to be too soft or too old because just driving on the highway it bounces back and forth at every corner. Just like I'm in a boat. I replaced springs sway bar links and pitman arm and idler arm also extended the jounce stops. The only thing left are shocks. So I need advice on a stiff shock and trying to stay away from adjustable. Any suggestions?

Devilmk4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fox are good if you want stiffer ride.. I have both 5100 and fox and am switching to the 5100 to harsh for me right now.

OP
OP
Eddie7644

Eddie7644

Reaction score
Yeah the 5100 just seem way to soft bounces side to side when on the highway if you go over a bump or dip in the road. I don't know what else it could be other than shocks

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old are your Bilstein's? They're the best shock I've had on mine. Might just be time to replace them?

Devilmk4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea what he said how old are they. Cause on my fathers he has the 5100
And is a solid ride goes over bumps very well.. mine with the fox is like hitting a rock plus i have torsion keys so is even a little worse

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably just worn out, depending on if you put alot of miles on in those 3-4 years. Average mileage would be 35-45000 miles so that's about time to replace them.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were the original ones the really large bore zw7 premium smooth ride ones? They were an option on an 04 LT, they use a different spring and will seem really squishy if you put on regular shocks such as the 5100's. Check your rpo codes. If it has zw7, you will need to swap springs to the standard ones or spend the 250 each on the correct shocks. Disregard if its not zw7 lol.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were the original ones the really large bore zw7 premium smooth ride ones? They were an option on an 04 LT, they use a different spring and will seem really squishy if you put on regular shocks such as the 5100's. Check your rpo codes. If it has zw7, you will need to swap springs to the standard ones or spend the 250 each on the correct shocks. Disregard if its not zw7 lol.
Also applies if you had Autoride and have disabled it without converting to the regular springs. That RPO code is Z55 but this applies to the rear only.

jcoker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Brother I chased this same thing for a year. Replaced Autoride suspension, then bypassed autoride suspension & put Rancho 5000 at all 4 corners, then Rancho 9000 at all 4 corners. Along with all the steering components and bushings and bearings in between. It all started with a simple idler arm & pitman arm replacement. Anyway, my final solution was to put the bump stops right on the suspension, limiting movement to almost nothing. And that is the only way I could get rid of that side to side wobble when you hit a bump. 2002 yukon xl 4x4. And I had every front end shop in town look at it along with the dealership twice. Good Luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442