new shocks and struts,alignment needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sick1166

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 ls 4.8 do i need alignment after new shocks and struts?

Ciro

Reaction score
After new front struts Yes. You will be changing the suspension geometry with the new parts and an alignment will be required.

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't do it after changing them out on my rig. I had and still have no weird wear patterns on the tires and it tracks straight. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the alignment checked since you are now 10 years old and the cost to get it checked pales in comparison to potentially destroying a set of tires, but I fail to see how the configuration employed on the GMT900 is altered by merely changing the absorbers front or back. If you had to change any bushings or anything that affects the pivot points like the a-arms or something, then I could see it, but in this case everything is the same and you are only changing the strut which should not affect any geometry.

I wish I could be definitive for you, the above is just how my mind comprehended this when I went through it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changing shocks always recommended to do alignment. You can get lucky and have alignment centered but most wont be that lucky and its not worth early tire replacement or weakened handles to save on an alignment.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my 07 LTZ, I did the rear shocks first and then the front struts. I have the "Autoride" and at the time I couldn't find the strut assemblies with the springs, so I had to take my springs off of the old and put them on the new. I did not notice any adjustments for the front struts. The three bolts on top, and the 2 bolts on the bottom were in a pretty specified place, so I never thought about getting an alignment. I had my tires rotated shortly thereafter and they checked the alignment and said it was in spec. I must have gotten lucky.

The rear shocks, there is nothing that would change the geometry I could remember either.

LightningGA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I did my 07 LTZ, I did the rear shocks first and then the front struts. I have the "Autoride" and at the time I couldn't find the strut assemblies with the springs, so I had to take my springs off of the old and put them on the new. I did not notice any adjustments for the front struts. The three bolts on top, and the 2 bolts on the bottom were in a pretty specified place, so I never thought about getting an alignment. I had my tires rotated shortly thereafter and they checked the alignment and said it was in spec. I must have gotten lucky.

The rear shocks, there is nothing that would change the geometry I could remember either.

You wouldn't happen to have the part# for the front struts?

2007 LTZ with Autoride

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I bought from Amazon:
ACDelco 580-431 - Front - I paid $200 in 2014, now they are $241.78
ACDelco 580-444 - Rear I paid $191 in 2014, now they are $278.86

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11