New ride, mods continue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DWSmoot

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thin coil spacers to raise the rear a little would be cheap, super easy to install and wouldn't hurt anything else.

How thin. Smallest I have seen are 1". You know of thinner?
Also do you know how thick the OEM's are?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How thin. Smallest I have seen are 1". You know of thinner?
Also do you know how thick the OEM's are?

When I replaced the coil spring isolators on my S10, the new OEM ones from the dealer were an upgraded design made of polyurethane and 3/16"-1/4" thick. The originals were floppy rubber, maybe 1/16" thick, and they squashed and rubbed through. The new ones lifted the front end 1/8"-3/16". Minor lift, but that truck was slammed and tucking the tires so it was noticeable.

Anyway, my point is maybe the OEM ones for yours are similar and/or thicker and you could just double stack another set of stock isolators if that'll lift it where you want it. Or, you could get some of the 1" spacers and cut them down if 1" would be too much lift. Maybe have a machine shop shave them so they'd be perfect if you don't have the means to trim them at home. If it were me, I'd use some scrap plywood to make a jig to hold the spacer. It'd be two squares of plywood stacked. The bottom piece of plywood would have a hole for the smaller diameter of the spacer to sit in, upside-down. The second/top piece of plywood would be whatever thickness I want the spacer to be and would have a hole in it the overall diameter of the spacer. Grind/shave whatever is above that second/top piece of plywood. If the spacer is polyurethane, maybe bring your jig and spacers to someone with a wood planer.

It sounds like a lot, but it's really not. It's about all you can do to make your Tahoe sit just how you want it, though.

OP
OP
DWSmoot

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced the coil spring isolators on my S10, the new OEM ones from the dealer were an upgraded design made of polyurethane and 3/16"-1/4" thick. The originals were floppy rubber, maybe 1/16" thick, and they squashed and rubbed through. The new ones lifted the front end 1/8"-3/16". Minor lift, but that truck was slammed and tucking the tires so it was noticeable.

Anyway, my point is maybe the OEM ones for yours are similar and/or thicker and you could just double stack another set of stock isolators if that'll lift it where you want it. Or, you could get some of the 1" spacers and cut them down if 1" would be too much lift. Maybe have a machine shop shave them so they'd be perfect if you don't have the means to trim them at home. If it were me, I'd use some scrap plywood to make a jig to hold the spacer. It'd be two squares of plywood stacked. The bottom piece of plywood would have a hole for the smaller diameter of the spacer to sit in, upside-down. The second/top piece of plywood would be whatever thickness I want the spacer to be and would have a hole in it the overall diameter of the spacer. Grind/shave whatever is above that second/top piece of plywood. If the spacer is polyurethane, maybe bring your jig and spacers to someone with a wood planer.

It sounds like a lot, but it's really not. It's about all you can do to make your Tahoe sit just how you want it, though.

Thanks iamdub!

OP
OP
DWSmoot

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: as of today:
2" RC Level
20% Tint front windows
Dipped badges
Vinyl wrapped window trim
Vinyl wrapped front grille grille(still pondering bowtie color...)
Vinyl wrapped wheel center cap black...

IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0378.JPG

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lose the front air dam. White outline on the bowtie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy