New Rear Differential Cover Bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Merc1973

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished last night, it took me 3 hours from start to cleanup. However My buddy stopped by to show off his new 4" exhaust on his Cummins 5.9 so that took 15 min away. Put rear on jack stands. remove the drivers side track bar (pan hard bar) bolt and move it up and out of the way. Impact with 6 point 13mm was easiest to remove the bolts, last person in here stripped a couple since they did not move the track bar out. I hammered on 1/2" 6 point socket and they came out. Old fluid was not as viscous as I would expect, previous owner pulled salt water sail boat, maybe some water in there? Magnet is fairly clean. I uses a paper gasket instead of RTV, lets see how it holds up. The Dorman bolts look to be zinc plated and use a 12mm socket. I filled at the port by the pinion seal till it overflowed with Valvoline synthetic 75/90 and a little Lucas Heavy Duty oil. Wiped down the cover with acetone and spray painted it to protect from future rust. Good for another 100k.

Ever had to remove the spare? quickest way to release the secondary latch:

cbq1F0l.jpg

qlfl4mT.jpg

N5Zng5l.jpg

uzsYJ6V.jpg

CoFb0La.jpg

yqtTSRw.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Merc1973

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job that is one ugly ass spare lol.Looks like if you torqued down your lugs it would smash those raised bolt holes.Im thinking of plasti dipping mine now.

Yeah, its the factory spare, still has the little nipples on the tread, never been mounted. Was holding 25 psi, not bad for that crusty thing. Im going to grab a matching alloy as a spare from pick n pull yard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep