new member level question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paul lombardo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have read most of the threads regarding level and lift kits for my 2014 suburban z71 with stock 18" wheels. looking for a bit more aggressive tire and maybe a bit of height as well. toof truck to a shop today and they suggested the ready lift 2.5 for the front and the tire terra grappler 285/65/18. ( stock is 265/65). these tires are load range E, is that going to be a problem?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you’re going to carry/haul. If it’s a family mover no problem. If you’re towing super heavy, meaning above recommended tongue weight then no. A few other guys will chime in about the tire size. You might be able to go bigger and they’ll tell you if that tire is any good. I’m on the opposite side having a lowered Yukon.

OP
OP
P

paul lombardo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, i do not tow anything. just people and bicycles on top and on a rear rack. just wanted a bigger tire option. We do go out on the beech a lot. auto shop said to just run standard air pressure that's listed on the truck, but reading countless reviews, cannot seem to find what would be a correct air pressure for the E range tire

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, i do not tow anything. just people and bicycles on top and on a rear rack. just wanted a bigger tire option. We do go out on the beech a lot. auto shop said to just run standard air pressure that's listed on the truck, but reading countless reviews, cannot seem to find what would be a correct air pressure for the E range tire

Mine are E rated and I run 40 psi. Max is 50 on the tires and the factory tires were 35 or something. E rated tires will make it ride more like a truck... which it should have to begin with.

OP
OP
P

paul lombardo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i do not mind the truck like ride. noticed you list you are running 305/55. any rubbing with that tall of a tire.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See message below. My phone went crazy

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ofIf you’re doing the lift you r be going. I have 305/40 and mine is lowered 2” in front. Run standard air pressure until you start to lose traction in the sand then let some out but remember to air up before ride home

OP
OP
P

paul lombardo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on the 2014 suburban and the 2004 yukon, with stock wheels, need to lower air pressure a lot for the deep soft sand, have concerns lowering the pressure on the load range E tires. looking for bigger tires because some of the ruts are deep. any thoughts on lift options or level kits and a slightly bigger tire would be appreciated, stock is 265/65r18

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the reason for the lift is bigger tires the leveling kit is fine and doesn’t mess with factory set up. I’d do that first. A good way to check if bigger will fit is measure you factory tire height and width then turn the wheel both ways and see how much space is left in front of and behind the tire. A 285 is 20mm taller less than an inch and the width is even less.