New member considing full size GM SUV. Some questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krmnnghia

Reaction score
I would look at 2007+ yukon Denali’s with low mileage. You could find a cream puff for that money and it has pretty much every luxury item you can ask for. The 6.2 is an amazing motor but the tranny has its quirks. Regardless of where you buy, pay for a pre inspection through a 3rd party shop. With luxury(Denali/Escalade) comes expensive replacement parts like the air ride system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Budget-wise, I am looking to stay around $30k. I believe I am looking for the regular wheel base, the longest non-Suburban.

Technically, the regular ones are the Suburbans, they came out first in the 1930s and the others followed later.

Anyhow, there is a really nice 2009 Tahoe LTZ for sale on this forum with the L9H motor and some good upgrades, including larger brakes. It has very low miles and is super clean.

The L9H is probably the best LS engine out there for trucks in the 6.2 liter size. It does not have AFM and makes over 400 horsepower stock. It is my understanding that Chevrolet made only around 500-600 of these so they are even more rare than the 2500s.

Anyhow, for starters, my recommendation would be 2009 and up so you get the 6-speed transmission and Bluetooth. 2012-2014 has an updated navigation radio with a hard drive for storing music and playback and such. These same years have improvements such as Hill Start Assist, Cruise Grade Braking - Normal Mode, Powertrain Grade Braking - Normal Mode (2013+).

2010 and later 5.3 engines have VVT, variable valve timing which gives them slightly more usable power and better fuel economy. All of the 6.0 and 6.2 engines have had VVT since 2007.

By 2011 the AFM system was using improved components but still not as reliable as not having it. All 5.3 and most 6.2 trucks engines use AFM.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
12-14 as stated above, 30k will get you a nice, albeit used, tahoe or yukon. LS is plain jane, LT a few more bells and whistles, LTZ most bells. Depends on pkg originally ordered. 5.3 w/6speed is a good combo.
I would def stay in those years and away from the 15 or 16, the first years of new Body style had some kinks that apparently cannot really be worked out.
Depends on where you are in the country but 07-14’s are notorious for the dashes cracking and outside door handles pulling off, then theres the whole afm debacle...
Look in here and theres a good list..

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...-a-07-14-nnbs-tahoe-suburban-look-here.61720/

Each year section has one of these threads.. good luck..

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else to consider, the drivetrain.

2WD is what it is.

4x4 or 4WD is available on the Yukons and Tahoes
- 2WD most until you want to put it into Auto or 4W Hi or 4W Lo, very versatile and was my reason for not selecting the Denali.

AWD (All Wheel Drive) is available on the Cadillacs and the Yukon Denali
- All four wheels driven by the engine all the time, great safety feature, less fuel efficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17