New guy... selecting cam, need input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hb22man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello i am new to the forum. ive been a long time lurker. The time has come to start doing some upgrades and supporting mods for a future turbo set up. i have pac 1218 springs already and i am wondering if leaving lifters and pushrods stock will work with a cam like 220/220/114 lsa .571 lift. i have read that this does well NA as well as under boost. planning on the circle D 3200 converter as well. do i need the "pro" series or the regular 450 dollar one?

also i do not know what bolt type our cams have, is it the 3 bolt? looking to order this tomorrow so i have it for the following weekend.

really hoping someone here can send me in the right direction or if im on the right path already.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The .571 seems really big for a daily driver, but you didn't say what your plans are other than your going turbo. If this is your daily driver I Highly recommend something with a little less lift. If it's not your daily driver then yes that's a good choice for turbo. I recently installed this Howard cam and I've been extremely happy with it and this Tahoe is my daily driver. Also consider the scorpion 1:7 roller rockers. Hands down the camshaft will give you the most horsepower for the money. Just remember that you will have to have a custom tune once you install the cam. The one I installed would run without a custom tune but it was really hard to start and wouldn't idle and it kept dying. Another suggestion would be to purchase a set of 243 or 799 GM cast heads and have them CNC ported and milled .030 to match the compression ratio of the 862 heads. I bought the 799 heads and they are at the machine shop being CNC ported.

IMG_1819.PNG

OP
OP
H

hb22man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank you very much for the reply. i started to realise the size of the cam is not what i need for daily driving use. i am thinking i will do a brian tooley stage 3 or 4. i understand i will need a tune, is it drive able to get to the tuner or will i need a tow now too?

Reaction score
Depending on how many miles you have on it, you may be ahead of the game replacing the lifters and pushrods.....
Oh..and do the rocker trunion upgrade too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518