New guy checking in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hey, my name is Ken and I'm a GMaholic... Lol

I have done a lot of research on this site in the past ( I'm a lurker) and finally decided to join. I currently own a 2008 Chevy Suburban LTZ, white diamond pearl tricoat, 20" wheels, titanium interior. This is my wife's truck so nothing to crazy done to it.

Diablo sport tune (87octane, firmer shift, AFM off), K&N air filter, Aftermarket flow through Muffler with resonator still intact, after all this is not a race car, it's a luxury vehicle and I didn't want it to sound like a mud truck, I just wanted better performance/fuel mileage.

I also swapped out the factory navigation unit for the Rosen car show GM1210. This not only gave me a better Nav experience but also gained me Bluetooth (and a lot of other features) that the 2008's didn't offer. I also installed a forward facing camera and have it wired into the backup cam so I can view my front OR rear cams with the flip of a switch that I cleverly hid where the left cigarette lighter plug is in the dash. I even retained the little flip cover to hide the 3 way switch. The right cigarette light plug I converted to the factory USB port, which was also not an option in 2008, and now I can charge my phone or plug in my IPod and control it through the touch screen and watch videos on the dash or on the rear entertainment system. I like to customize things while maintaining a factory appearance, that way people scratch their heads and wonder if it came that way... Lol

Anyway my next project is going to be to intall motor mounts and transmission mount, install drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads on all 4 corners, lower ball joints and upper control arms, front end alignment and 4 new 70,000 mile tires ( Nokian Rotiiva HT 275/55/R20). I have all these parts sitting at the house waiting for me to get home, I drive a truck and am gone 6 weeks at a time so time is very hard to come by for me.

I also plan on doing a cool ( I think ) mod, to the rear turn signals and brake lights, which I will try and post pics and maybe video of when its done. It will be mid April before I return home to get going on this stuff so if your interested in the turn signal/ brake light mod please bare with me.

Anyway I am getting long winded so I will just say that I am a very active member on a motorcycle forum that I am a member of and hope to be able to contribute here as well. I am near Jacksonville, Florida in case anyone cares... Lol

Thanks, Ken

Edit: I forgot to mention that my last truck was a 2000 Cadillac Escalade on 22's and I removed the running boards and replaced them with the Tahoe limited side skirts. I still have the side skirts and running boards if anyone is interested in them let me know.

I am currently trying to figure out where to post pics at on here, like a personal album??? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Ken!

You did a lot of awesome things to your wife's 2008 LTZ Suburban!!

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Ken!

You did a lot of awesome things to your wife's 2008 LTZ Suburban!!

Thanks.... I am trying to figure out how to post pics on here but can't seem to figure it out. I am on my smart phone, I found where it says media and add media and then it asks to add in category OR add to an album but that is as far as I can get.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Welcome Ken! When you're posting, there is an "upload a file" button just under your typing field. Click it and it will let you select pics from your phone gallery.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Let's see if this worked...rps20170311_235323_268.jpg

This is a pic of the old Escalade with the Tahoe limited side skirts.

rps20170311_235651.jpg

And a pic of the Suburban the day we bought it.

Looks like it worked... Thanks for the help.

Now if I can just figure out how to create an album.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention when I was posting things that I have done to the Suburban that I had the front windows tinted to match the 18% on the rear and had the entire front windshield tinted with 70% (which is clear) and a 5% 8 inch strip at the top. The wife said no more limo tint on every window... Happy wife, happy life... Lol

You may wonder what the purpose of doing the entire front windshield in clear film is. The answer is it is a ceramic film (Huper optik)

https://www.huperoptikusa.com/

And it blocks about 50% of the heat and about 99% UVa and UVb rays which will kill your dash and cause it to crack. And in Florida it is great to block as much heat as you can. I also installed a set of Wade brand (made in the USA, which is important to me) in channel vent visors/rain deflectors on the doors to help let the remaining heat escape. The tint make a huge and noticeable improvement.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I go through pics in my phone and it reminds me of other things I have done to the Burb.... Thank God for pics because I suffer from CRS.... Lol

I also added an additional transmission cooler in line with the existing cooler, again I live in Florida and pull a trailer once in a while and as we all know heat is the worst thing in the world for an automatic transmission.
rps20170312_003826_155.jpg
The cooler I added is on the left side of the pic ( passenger side of truck) the one in the center is the factory installed cooler.

And now that I know how to post pics I can show you the camera switch and USB port.

rps20170312_003315_437.jpg
Covers closed.

rps20170312_003420_205.jpg
Covers open.

The switch is a 3 way switch. Up is front camera, down is rear camera (for use while going forward), and the center is OFF and allows the rear camera to function as designed from the factory ( while in reverse ).

Here is an overall pic of the Rosen GM1210 installed.
rps20170312_004150_670.jpg

And a pic of the navigation which is head and shoulders above the factory navigation which I hated.
rps20170312_004346_749.jpg

Sorry I know these aren't the best pics but you get the idea.

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome! I'm sorta new too, never figured out where this part of the forum was to introduce my self. so I just barged my way in! really like the mods you did and will have to read up on the GM1210. maybe saving a few months will be worth the purchase over a used OEM nav unit. my 10 yukon is bare bones no bells and whistles so I'll have to slowly add the goodies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish