New Denali owner.. few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. So recently became a proud new owner of a 2001 Denali.
2001 with 112k, well kept and serviced.
Mods include dual flow-master exhaust, tinted windows, after market stereo deck.

Love the engine and the ride so far but the mod bug is creeping in.
Searched but have a few questions:

1. Have a few scrapes on the body but can't find the paint code for touch up paint. where is it located? Can someone recommend touch up paint brand that matches up well?
2. Looks like denali All wheel drive system does not have a 4-low which is fine.. i do see a "towing" button on the shifter. What exactly does it do?
3. what is the largest size tire i can fit on the stock 17inch rims without rubbing?
4. if i wanted to upgrade to 20 inch wheels from escalade, newer GMCs, etc. do i need any leveling kits?
5. my understanding is that if i went with 20inch wheels, perfect tire size is 275/55r20 or 275/6R20. Would a wider 285/50/20 tire fit without rubbing?IMG_4267.JPG

OP
OP
I

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh.. and whats the consensus on the octane to use? I see info all over with some people saying it runs fine on 87 and others saying you should use 91

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off welcome to TYF. @igell

Answers noted in red as best I can.

Hi. So recently became a proud new owner of a 2001 Denali.
2001 with 112k, well kept and serviced.
Mods include dual flow-master exhaust, tinted windows, after market stereo deck.

Love the engine and the ride so far but the mod bug is creeping in.
Searched but have a few questions:

1. Have a few scrapes on the body but can't find the paint code for touch up paint. where is it located? Can someone recommend touch up paint brand that matches up well?

Your RPO sticker should be in your glovebox with a bunch of code numbers.
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/?A=437&SubAffiliateID=Automotivetouchup_e

By looking up your year and model at the above site and your picture, it looks like you are one of these colors. Try to cross reference what is on your RPO code sticker.
11, 382E, WA382E Pewter Metallic
14, 391E, WA391E Storm Gray Metallic

2. Looks like denali All wheel drive system does not have a 4-low which is fine.. i do see a "towing" button on the shifter. What exactly does it do?

Here is a link to a 2001 Denali owners manual. Scroll down to 4-43 for Tow/Haul mode explained.

3. what is the largest size tire i can fit on the stock 17inch rims without rubbing?
4. if i wanted to upgrade to 20 inch wheels from escalade, newer GMCs, etc. do i need any leveling kits?

No.

5. my understanding is that if i went with 20inch wheels, perfect tire size is 275/55r20 or 275/6R20. Would a wider 285/50/20 tire fit without rubbing?View attachment 71945

I ran 275/55/20 on my 06 after getting rid of the 16s and now run 24s lowered. Not sure on the other size 20s though.

OP
OP
I

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks..
did you notice a large mpg drop when going to from 16 to 20.. and now 22 inch wheels?

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and great looking Denali, I run NNBS Denali 20's with the factory tire size and no rubbing, there is still room for a bigger tire or rim if you wanted to go bigger, and in terms of gas I run 93 since I've got the LQ9 in the Esky has 10:1 compression so you need the higher octane

698d1af527b342781011aa3d44379f6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and great looking Denali, I run NNBS Denali 20's with the factory tire size and no rubbing, there is still room for a bigger tire or rim if you wanted to go bigger, and in terms of gas I run 93 since I've got the LQ9 in the Esky has 10:1 compression so you need the higher octane

Nice looking truck.. so the nbs denalis have the same engine.. meaning i should be running 91 octane?
also.. any idea if wheels from a 2014+ denali fit on an 01.. from my research looks like bolt pattern is the same, but center bore might be different. If i wanted to go with larger wheels should i stick with a pre 2014 wheels?

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck.. so the nbs denalis have the same engine.. meaning i should be running 91 octane?
also.. any idea if wheels from a 2014+ denali fit on an 01.. from my research looks like bolt pattern is the same, but center bore might be different. If i wanted to go with larger wheels should i stick with a pre 2014 wheels?

I think just the Esky has the LQ9 and the 6.0 Denali's have a different engine, someone on here should be able to chime in on that, I've seen NBS trucks with 2014+ Esky rims it can be done just haven't done it first hand, but NNBS Denali rims would look great on yours unless u really like the 14+

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nbs Denali has a 6.0 like an esky, but it's the LQ4 so just a little less horsepower. I run my Denali 6.0 on 91 octane. Runs better and cleaner. You can fit 20s on it with no problem. I just picked up a set of 20s off the 2007 body style Denali that will be going on 275/55/R20s. I will probably be going with one size bigger later on and they should clear with no issues. Everything up to 2014 wheels will fit identically with no problem. I've seen some nbs trucks with the newest Gen Denali wheels. I would assume they'd fit but know about the bore issue. The all wheel drive in these is fantastic. No 4-lo but handles extremely well for me in the snow. The tow button the shifter puts the transmissions into tow haul mode. Keeps it in a lower gear for longer and changes shift points to help with grades and while under loads.

Last edited:

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a low and high octane timing curve in your PCM. It will select which is appropriate based on what fuel you are using (the combustion cycles)....so either if fine. Also, the tow haul mode will 1. increase line pressure during shifts, 2. delay shifts for more high rpm operation, and 3. delay torque converter engagement to prevent engine lugging due to extra load. These parameters are coded into the PCM but can be changed with software like HPTuners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts