New AVH-3800 BHS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiLRedWagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wifey just bought it for me this past Fathers Day. I'm mechanically inclined, but for this installation, there are so many harnesses, boxes and interfaces for it I don't know where to start. I don't want to spend money on the wrong thing. No OnStar, Sirius/XM on my 09 PPV. No backup camera either, but I may add one later.

Much room for error if you don't know what you are doing (which I do not).
Best Buy quoted me about $250 to install it; I consider it money well spent to be 100% sure it's installed correctly. I see a number of posts of folks doing their own installations only to have some other system or component not work when complete. I don't want that person to be me. I just want it to work properly.

So, should I:

Let a professional installer do it or attempt it myself with the proper equipment, harness, interface box (if needed) and instructions?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Wifey just bought it for me this past Fathers Day. I'm mechanically inclined, but for this installation, there are so many harnesses, boxes and interfaces for it I don't know where to start. I don't want to spend money on the wrong thing. No OnStar, Sirius/XM on my 09 PPV. No backup camera either, but I may add one later.

Much room for error if you don't know what you are doing (which I do not).
Best Buy quoted me about $250 to install it; I consider it money well spent to be 100% sure it's installed correctly. I see a number of posts of folks doing their own installations only to have some other system or component not work when complete. I don't want that person to be me. I just want it to work properly.

So, should I:

Let a professional installer do it or attempt it myself with the proper equipment, harness, interface box (if needed) and instructions?
It can look intimidating to someone not used to installing all that stuff, but it really isn't a hard install. It's pretty straight forward. Since all the wires are color coded, I like to start by wiring the after market harness adapter to the radio harness, and then continue from there. Chime box, steering wheel controls etc. Everything gets done , one at a time. It can get confusing but just take your time. Imo, the hardest part of the install will be getting all those wires and boxes to fit behind there. Good luck.

OP
OP
L

LiLRedWagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I opted for the former but not at Best Buy.

Before
20170706_1041571_zpsfwqapci1.jpg

After
20170707_1005221_zpsjf7occ57.jpg

Doesn't have Android Auto, so on to MirrorLink

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu