New 93 2 door owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2DROSH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought this lady 2 days ago, she has a rebuilt transmission and motor bored .30 from what i was told muffler delete still has the cat. She runs good a little rough on the idle cruises great on the highway. Anyone know the pros and cons of this type of intake system and deleting the stock sensors. It looks a little backwards or maybe it's just me. Lol

20180215_112838.jpg 20180216_113444.jpg 20180216_113433.jpg 20180216_113456.jpg

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh :welcome:to the forum, nice looking ride you found, as for the engine, it's topped off with the original Throttle Body from GM. Lot of info online and google. Might try some "StaBill " fuel addative (Walmart) which may help your idling problem. Good luck.
David g............:2cents:

OP
OP
2DROSH

2DROSH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Josh :welcome:to the forum, nice looking ride you found, as for the engine, it's topped off with the original Throttle Body from GM. Lot of info online and google. Might try some "StaBill " fuel addative (Walmart) which may help your idling problem. Good luck.
David g............:2cents:

Thanks happy to be here, i will have to pick some up of that Stabill today been doing my part on examining her, got the oil changed came out like sludge(feels like the previous owner started to just let her go the last 2 years):disgust: got 10 quarts of Dino oil 10-30(shop brand) as a flush and filter and labor for less than 35$ will probably only run it 500 hundred miles until going synthetic just to get her cleaned out first. Changed the spark plugs myself which were all black:eek: adjusted the ac delco to 0.045. as i read this is what is recommended. Runs better more power, Still piston slaps 3-10 times when starting and idling bit high and uneven will try that Stabill today thanks!

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks happy to be here, i will have to pick some up of that Stabill today been doing my part on examining her, got the oil changed came out like sludge(feels like the previous owner started to just let her go the last 2 years):disgust: got 10 quarts of Dino oil 10-30(shop brand) as a flush and filter and labor for less than 35$ will probably only run it 500 hundred miles until going synthetic just to get her cleaned out first. Changed the spark plugs myself which were all black:eek: adjusted the ac delco to 0.045. as i read this is what is recommended. Runs better more power, Still piston slaps 3-10 times when starting and idling bit high and uneven will try that Stabill today thanks!

On a side note, after setting overnight, before cranking, watch the oil pressure gauge when you start the engine and see if the oil pressure gauge moves about the same time as the piston slap stops ? If it does, it doesn't mean anything to be concerned about.
BTW, what part of Colorado are you located, I have a daughter in NW area, Craig . Check back/update.
David g..........

OP
OP
2DROSH

2DROSH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On a side note, after setting overnight, before cranking, watch the oil pressure gauge when you start the engine and see if the oil pressure gauge moves about the same time as the piston slap stops ? If it does, it doesn't mean anything to be concerned about.
BTW, what part of Colorado are you located, I have a daughter in NW area, Craig . Check back/update.
David g..........

About 15 miles south of Denver nice town to many people though lol. Seems as i have unraveled a can of worms oil pressure spiked all of a sudden, local shop advised me it was the heater hose T connector and intake manifold gasket would be 5-600 bucks to fix %@#)#@. This is where i'm stumped i looked at the parts at advance auto and they're less than 50 bucks. How much is this heater hose T connector? i found a heater connector
Dorman - OE Solutions Heater Hose Connector
10$ wondering if im looking at the wrong part? lol:banghead:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is your coolant level? Losing any? Any coolant leaks on the front or back of the block?

They could be talking about either the heater valve (near passenger firewall) or the heater hose fitting on the intake. Both would require draining the coolant, but that’s not a big deal. If they are leaking, it will be obvious.

Replacing the lower intake gasket is what gets expensive—not for the price of the gasket, but for the hourly labor rate. Figure four or five hours at $80-$100 per, and it adds up fast. As the heater hose connector at the intake often breaks during removal, they may be throwing that in just in case.

If you have the space to do it, I’d do all of it myself. The intake gasket is not a bad job. Check YouTube for videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2DROSH

2DROSH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How is your coolant level? Losing any? Any coolant leaks on the front or back of the block?

They could be talking about either the heater valve (near passenger firewall) or the heater hose fitting on the intake. Both would require draining the coolant, but that’s not a big deal. If they are leaking, it will be obvious.

Replacing the lower intake gasket is what gets expensive—not for the price of the gasket, but for the hourly labor rate. Figure four or five hours at $80-$100 per, and it adds up fast. As the heater hose connector at the intake often breaks during removal, they may be throwing that in just in case.

If you have the space to do it, I’d do all of it myself. The intake gasket is not a bad job. Check YouTube for videos.

I forgot to mention the most obvious (shell shock from quote) its spraying coolant like a race horse back of the block, feeling like the previous owner did a poor job of rebuilding smh or the connector corroded.Here's the list from today the best part is they checked it out for free from being a previous customer. Pretty much what you said 302, i'm in an apt right now with no garage plenty of space though, will be moving into another apt in 2.5 weeks with a garage. I may tackle this friday around noon after binging on youtube today and tomorrow. Will (pay) for a heat wave friday:)

20180228_165145.jpg

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, forgot this was a TBI. I’d imagine it is similar to the gasket replacement on a Vortec, but couldn’t say for sure as my comments above were specific to the vortec.

I would guess that the replacement is actually easier on a TBI...less stuff to remove.

OP
OP
2DROSH

2DROSH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
20180309_161912.jpg
I forgot to mention the most obvious (shell shock from quote) its spraying coolant like a race horse back of the block, feeling like the previous owner did a poor job of rebuilding smh or the connector corroded.Here's the list from today the best part is they checked it out for free from being a previous customer. Pretty much what you said 302, i'm in an apt right now with no garage plenty of space though, will be moving into another apt in 2.5 weeks with a garage. I may tackle this friday around noon after binging on youtube today and tomorrow. Will (pay) for a heat wave friday:)

there's the gasket sticking out the back of the block. Makes sense why there's sludge in there now. Anyone try turning the crankshaft bolt to do TDC and the bolt and washer just spins by hand?Maybe stripped?

20180309_161912.jpg 20180309_111056.jpg Screenshot_20180310-213353.png

Last edited: