New '00 tow rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MINIz guy

Reaction score
Hi all, here's my new-to-me '00 Tahoe LT. Picked it up for $1700 with 180k. How'd I do with the price?

Bought it to tow my BMW E36 around and haul other stuff around. Came with 3.73's, G80 locker and the stock trans cooler. Just doing all the fluids and trying to keep this a reliable daily tow rig.
IMG_0221.JPG

Last edited:

mmeachem

Reaction score
Hi all, here's my new-to-me '00 Tahoe LT. Picked it up for $1700 with 180k. How'd I do with the price?

Bought it to tow my BMW E36 around and haul other stuff around. Came with 3.73's, G80 locker and the stock trans cooler. Just doing all the fluids and trying to keep this a reliable daily tow rig. View attachment 84354
Looks pretty clean too, nice buy [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4?

Either way, good price. Might want to sock away a couple thousand for a transmission rebuild, seems like that's more of a "when" than an "if" on these trucks. Mine went out at 149k but I had it rebuilt for $2,000.

OP
OP
M

MINIz guy

Reaction score
And a pic of my BMW for attention:
27950116325_2eed704648_z.jpg

Yes, 4x4. It seems to have most options clicked, but it doesn't have any Bose system or sunroof. Not sure if they were offered in 2000 anyway. It has power everything and OnStar, which I was surprised about.

I am worried about the 4L60. Really wanted an Avalanche with the 6L80, but they are expensive. My other choice was a 2500 Suburbam with a 4L80, but those hold their value too well. I figured I couldn't lose any money on this Tahoe if I didn't like it (3-owner, no accident, "zero" rust).

Already did a few small repairs. I reflowed the 4WD switch and now 4WD works again. I need to reflow the cluster as the oil pressure gauge sticks sometimes unless I cycle the key; I think a joint is cracked and causing some resistance, giving me a reading when the vehicle is off. I also need to clean the dimmer switch as it only works at max. Besides the small stuff, I need to do fluids before I start towing. Already put 1k miles on it in 2 weeks and it's been flawless. Much better than borrowing my parent's BMW X5

Last edited:

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andrew, welcome to the forum and congrats on your find, what a great deal. I'm assuming you got the 5.7 vortec, awesome engine and dependable. Keep us posted on changes.
David g............:)

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andrew, welcome to the forum and congrats on your find, what a great deal. I'm assuming you got the 5.7 vortec, awesome engine and dependable. Keep us posted on changes.
David g............:)

5.7? I thought that was only on the GMT-400 (OBS) trucks? My guess would be the 5.3 Vortec.

OP
OP
M

MINIz guy

Reaction score
Yup, I have a 5.3 in this one.

Gas mileage has been ~16 mpg with a mix of city/hwy. Roads I drive on have a speed limit of 40-55, but with tons of traffic. Not bad, but I hope it gets better once I do plugs and all the fluids.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.7? I thought that was only on the GMT-400 (OBS) trucks? My guess would be the 5.3 Vortec.

Some 00 Limited were OBS 5.7's, depending production date, my 99 LS was a late production, almost 00 OBS as well. Some even called them 991/2, but title is still 99. JMHO.
David g......:)

OP
OP
M

MINIz guy

Reaction score
Yea, my picture is kinda small but I have a 2000 NBS Tahoe. Not a 2000 OBS Tahoe. I don't like the way Chevy does the 1/2 model years, makes figuring out first model year part numbers difficult, since I'm in the industry. Not sure if I learned more about these vehicles from work or from my research looking for a tow rig...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout