Need Verification to disable Tire Pressure monitor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevhill85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been doing some research on how to disable the TPS when aftermarket Wheels are installed. None of us want to pay $99 a sensor for our new Giovanna's. I found a way to disable them but I need some back up before I try it. So there is plastic cover right below the glove box remove screw and pull down you going to see a little green box (tire pressure monitor ECU)it has plug with 16 wires look for the #6(when you unplug and looking at the plug in front of you star #1 top left corner and #9 should be right below that anyway is the blue wire you need to cut this and ground the wire going to the bulb or light not the one for the little box and the light goes off even with one of your OEM wheels and tires flat. Have any of you guys heard of this?? This is just what I found searching the internet. I have no clue if it would work or not.

Did this work?

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new set of oem sensors for my upcomming SS wheel install. I have two questions. First can the tire shop (probably discount tire) program the new sensors? Second, can the batteries in them run down before them are installed? They are all still in the ac delco package so I know they haven't been used yet. Two of my originals have now stopped working. Firestone broke one during a flat repair and wouldn't replace it (this was my last visit to firestone) and the other recently stopped reading.

hotbeek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can program your own sensors. It's not too difficult. I believe the instructions are in the owners manual. If you do not have a manual I could print out some instructions for you. I just did my programming for my new sensors. It's amazing all the gadgetry incorporated into the switches. I believe the tire pressure resync involved turning key to on, setting emergency brake, switching lights on to off like 3-4 times, wait for a horn honk, then go add or remove air on drivers front tire for about 10-15 seconds till you hear honk, thenproceed around vehicle adding or removing air to each tire till honk sounds, after last wheel done turn key off done. I'll verify this when I check the manual. I'm sure there's something not in the right order. It is kind of interesting though. And yes the brake did have to be set I tried to do without it...= Failure ! lol ! so don't cheat the process. :thumbsdown:

hotbeek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
here's the lowdown on syncing new tpms.

you will have one minute to match first tpms and 5 mins to match all 4 !

1. set parking brake
2. pull all valve caps(this is my helpful tip. time is critical once started)
3. turn ignition to "run" don't start
4. turn exterior lamp switch "off" to "on" four times within three seconds. a double horn honk will sound and the tpm low tire warning light will flash.
5. start with drivers front tire. either add or remove air for 10 seconds. stop and listen for honk. honk means tpms has been matched. if you do not hear a honk within 15 seconds you'll need to start over from #1.
6. proceed to passenger front tire. either add or remove air for 10 seconds. stop and listen for honk.
7. proceed to passenger rear tire. repeat procedure.
8. proceed to drivers rear tire. repeat procedure. after hearing last honk check to see if tpm light is still flashing.....if yes turn ignition switch to off.
9. set tire pressures to correct psi. replace valve caps.

good luck !

Corey333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its in the master window switch. If you don't have power folding mirrors, program the switch with a vin that didnt come with tpms or replace it with a used switch that came from a truck without the option. This will work for 03-06 models.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Ok what did you do with your original sensors, you frickin pay 2k for some big ghetto wheels and tires and are too cheap to either buy or exchange your government mandated sensors , come on before you kill somebody!!!

just my 2 cents,

I know I'm mean but it's okay LOL

Corey333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kill somebody? The wheel is a rather old invention, tire sensors are kind of a new concept.... I wish all you idiots would leave the law and killing people out of the tire sensor discussion. If you can't give a good answer like I did then go away and trash some other forum with your ********. If you don't know how to keep air in your tires without a computer you shouldn't be driving.

Corey333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its in the master window switch. If you don't have power folding mirrors, program the switch with a vin that didnt come with tpms or replace it with a used switch that came from a truck without the option. This will work for 03-06 models.

Also disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset all the systems after replacing the switch...

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some research on how to disable the TPS when aftermarket Wheels are installed. None of us want to pay $99 a sensor for our new Giovanna's. I found a way to disable them but I need some back up before I try it. So there is plastic cover right below the glove box remove screw and pull down you going to see a little green box (tire pressure monitor ECU)it has plug with 16 wires look for the #6(when you unplug and looking at the plug in front of you star #1 top left corner and #9 should be right below that anyway is the blue wire you need to cut this and ground the wire going to the bulb or light not the one for the little box and the light goes off even with one of your OEM wheels and tires flat. Have any of you guys heard of this?? This is just what I found searching the internet. I have no clue if it would work or not.

Im gonna try this